ES&H Graduate Student Intern - Summer 2024
Students | livermore, CA | 01/16/2024
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical / 712.0 Intern Exempt
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$6,200.00 - $7,520.00 Monthly
This position is under a step structure. Please note that the step placement is determined by your most recent completed academic year.
We have an opening for graduate level students and students who have received a bachelor’s or master’s degree in the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate. You will work under the direction of the ES&H Directorate to complete a project, or series of projects, that combine hands-on experience with technical knowledge. Projects will be matched to the interests of the student but must ultimately provide value to ES&H programs. This individual will interact with all levels of personnel at the Laboratory including managers, experimenters, technicians, and other personnel that may be outside the ES&H directorate.
In this role you will
- Gather and analyze data or information, provide input to, and prepare various documents (e.g., develop procedures, reports, calculations, and/or research reports and presentations).
- Participate in safety inspections of work areas.
- Perform technical analysis of data and apply effective analytical and problem-solving skills to complex problems.
- Perform technical/scientific assignments at a basic to moderate degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to engineers and scientists.
- Perform independent technical or operational tasks and projects and/or support research efforts.
- Provide comprehensive support to LLNL programs, operations, and/or research in collaboration with senior staff members to resolve moderately complex to complex issues.
- Perform or assist in assessments of, or research in, ES&H Directorate areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or has completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree. in Engineering (e.g., Mechanical, Chemical, Nuclear, Electrical, Environmental, Civil, Architectural), Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Physical Sciences (e.g., Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science), Explosive safety, Laser safety or optics, public health, industrial hygiene, occupational safety or equivalent program or a recent graduate within one year.
- Ability to apply scientific methods to solve a defined problem or study question.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient with standard Microsoft Office suite including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Effective analytical skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ability to apply basic and fundamental safety concepts in a work environment.
- Experience in research, manufacturing and/or laboratory-type work settings.
- Working knowledge of topics in ES&H Directorate areas, (e.g., OSHA regulations and ANSI Standards as applicable to general industry, construction and research and development environments, e.g., construction, fall protection, lock out tag out, electrical safety, hoisting and rigging, forklifts, ladders, machine guarding).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, this position involves U.S. Export Control; this work must be performed by a U.S. person (U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident, U.S. national, or U.S. protected individual (e.g., refugee, asylee)).
If your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.