Accountant Payroll Tax, Lead
Finance & Accounting | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: C02.4 Accountant 4
Organization: Chief Financial Officer
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$129,030 - $160,188 Annual (C02.4)
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Accountant 4 Team Leader position to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. Responsibilities will include directing the preparation, analysis, maintenance, and review of complex institutional accounting, financial, and tax reporting information. This position is in the General Accounting & Tax Compliance Division of the Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) Organization.
In this role, you will
- Serve as a key member and tax subject matter expert, provide strategic leadership, direction, and oversight to the Payroll Tax portion of the Institutional and Corporate Tax Accounting Team to assure services are appropriately aligned to meet customer needs and comply with the provisions of Contract 44, Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), applicable State and Federal regulations, policies and procedures.
- Supervise exempt staff, providing leadership and day-to-day work direction including review of work products and deliverables provided to Payroll, both HR and Finance Benefits, Treasury, Accounts Receivable, Financial Reporting, Immigration and Accounts Payable and other teams in Finance in collaboration for meeting payroll tax compliance requirements. Direct and oversee all activities associated with the payroll tax accounting function, including managing the foreign national tax database and tax functions including tax treaty processing.
- Reconcile, adjust, and verify the preparation and the filing of Laboratory payroll tax returns with a third-party provider, including federal and multi-state withholding taxes for employees in various states and multiple jurisdictions. Assist the Payroll Tax Accountants in over-seeing and maintaining the engagement relationship with the payroll tax third party filing provider and the Laboratory’s Payroll group, while ensuring compliance with Contract 44, Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), applicable federal and state regulations, and policies and procedures as they apply to tax.
- Serve as a Tax Liaison for taxing authorities as it pertains to payroll tax and to participate and lead as appropriate on long-term projects requiring highly complex solutions to payroll tax-related problems, recommend and implement appropriate courses of action.
- Independently research and respond to highly complex questions concerning federal and state withholding issues, prepare position papers and recommendations.
- Reconcile tax account balance sheet general ledger accounts, prepare journal entries; provide analysis and interpret complex accounting data; provide advice and make recommendations for proper accounting and tax treatment and prepare various ad hoc reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or equivalent combination of education plus substantial experience, or equivalent education, training, and experience in the finance/accounting/tax field.
- Extensive experience preparing and filing multi-state payroll and/or entity state and local tax returns; experience in tax research and interpretation of tax laws.
- Complete in-depth knowledge and understanding of taxation, accounting theory, CAS, GAAP, and financial policies and procedures.
- Extensive experience with decision making, problem-solving and analytical skills to solve complex issues requiring mature judgment, discretion and tact, and experience negotiating desirable outcomes and making effective and timely decisions.
- Complete knowledge and understanding of foreign national employee's taxation requirements.
- Complete knowledge and understanding of the Fellow’s program for employees on assignment to other states and countries, including tax equalizations and gross ups.
- Significant experience in researching, compiling, and analyzing highly complex financial data and information as well as in the development, implementation and interpretation of financial policies and procedures.
- Expert organizational skills and expertise; excellent interpersonal communication skills both verbal and written, to effectively explain, negotiate, persuade, and build consensus amongst diverse stakeholders. Experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with Sr. Management and all levels of personnel.
- Expert level experience in the development and maintenance of financial spreadsheets containing advanced functions, including significant experience utilizing commercial and institutional financial tools and report-generation applications. (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Qualifications We Desire
- Public Accounting tax experience.
- Large company multi-state payroll tax experience.
- CPA or EA
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now