Bioinformaticist - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
NOTE: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in the area of multiomics and functional genomics. You will explore opportunities to further scientific capabilities in detection and surveillance of novel and low abundant pathogens. You will develop new methods, tools, and algorithms for metagenomic sequence data analysis in the context of identifying emerging and unknown sequences and determining functional impact of metagenomic datasets. You will work with multiomic datasets for integrated data analysis and prediction of results. This position is in the Genomics group in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
- Analyze metagenomic datasets from environmental and clinical samples to determine taxonomy and function
- Research, develop, and implement computational techniques for analyzing novel and unknown sequences
- Conduct multiomic data analysis including genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and metabolomics
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research at seminars, technical meetings, and conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, or a related field.
- Experience in developing bioinformatics infrastructure for genomics, metagenomics analysis
- Ability to develop and apply novel analytical techniques for multiomic data integration
- Broad experience in developing software with Python, R, or C++
- Comprehensive knowledge of one or more of the following: scientific data analysis, statistical analysis, data management technologies, data visualization- Experience improving software infrastructure for multiomics, such as automating pipelines on HPC or building databases
- Ability to complete independent research projects, as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to present technical information and effectively collaborate in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in metagenomic data analysis and microbiome analytical tools, including software platforms for analysis shotgun and targeted metagenomic data
- Familiarity with current bioinformatics tools for sequence pre-processing, alignment, and genomic feature or functional identification.
- Experience with multiomic datasets including proteomics, metabolomics, epigenetics and transcriptomics
- Experience in AI/ML methods for biological data analysis
- Broad experience with data analysis algorithms, data management approaches, relational databases, or machine learning algorithms
- Experience in multiomics and molecular simulations or statistical modeling of experimental data in molecular biology
- Publication record demonstrating research in computational biology
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.