Plasma Physics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to perform theoretical and computational research in the field of plasma physics with an emphasis on particle-in-cell (PIC) and fluid modeling of high energy density (HED) plasmas relevant to inertial confinement fusion (ICF) experiments. Your responsibilities will include the development of new theoretical models and numerical simulation capabilities and the application of these capabilities to study burning plasmas. The work will be performed within the LLNL Fusion Energy Sciences Program’s (FESP) Theory and Computation group, within the Physics Division.
- Conduct research to develop new algorithms and techniques for PIC/fluid simulations of burning ICF plasmas.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Develop, implement, and apply numerical simulation techniques to advance existing kinetic and/or fluid modeling codes.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Maintain an awareness of technical literature in assigned areas.
- Pursue independent (complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific journals and present results at conferences, workshops, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Plasma Physics or related discipline.
- Experience developing theoretical and computational models of physical systems involving plasmas and/or fluid dynamics.
- Experience implementing and applying computational models to such physical systems and analyzing and interpreting the results of the models.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Programming proficiency in C++, Fortran, Python and/or other scripting languages.
- Experience working with high-performance computing and/or GPU-based programming.
- Familiarity with standard coding practices (e.g., Git, CI, Unit testing).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.