Energy/Infrastructure Systems Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
$159,330.00 - $204,636.00 Annually for the SES.3 level
$191,220.00 - $245,544.00 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
Are you an energy or infrastructure systems expert? We are seeking a highly qualified Energy/Infrastructure Systems Scientist to support and lead projects in our diverse portfolio spanning Critical Infrastructure Resilience, Energy Systems, and Climate Resilience. You will apply a combination of technical depth and breadth, critical thinking, modeling and simulation, and analysis to design the next generation of sustainable and secure energy systems and resilient infrastructure. This position is in the Energy and Carbon Management group within the Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy Division.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Develop analytical models, tools, and frameworks to characterize and assess key infrastructure and energy systems resilience-related issues,
- Develop, evaluate, and apply physical and computational simulations to gain insight into complex infrastructure and energy systems.
- Develop innovative and creative methods that leverage tools from a breadth of established disciplines such as systems engineering, decision analysis, risk analysis, applied statistics and optimization, and other related fields.
- Analyze the security, performance, cost, and lifecycle impacts, of diverse energy innovations.
- Design components, technologies, and systems that substantially improve climate resilience over state-of-the-art.
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers across a variety of technical disciplines.
- Communicate complex technical concepts to internal and external stakeholders in a concise and effective way.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.4 level
- Lead and manage supporting personnel who conduct analysis under your direct supervision.
- Lead and develop teams to conduct and support technology demonstrations.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD. in an energy-focused field such as Earth Science, Environmental Science, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Chemical Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge and experience in infrastructure systems, energy systems, or another related discipline.
- Experience defining research questions and scoping defensible methods and approaches.
- Experience presenting technical concepts to diverse audiences. Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and author products targeted to a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience with one or more of the following computational disciplines: risk analysis, decision analysis, data analytics, statistical modeling, modeling and simulation, control system design, or other related discipline.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Experience building models and running simulations using one or more of the following programming tools: Python, Simulink, R, MATLAB, Java or C++.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Significant experience (greater than 5 years) leading or managing projects and teams on energy or infrastructure topics.
- Significant experience (greater than 5 years) collaborating across research (university, laboratory) and commercial (industry) institutions.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with geospatial analysis of energy and infrastructure systems.
- Experience in design, operations, or modeling of infrastructure systems, particularly transportation networks and logistics, chemical processing, water and wastewater systems, communications networks, or interdependencies among these systems.
- Experience managing multiple concurrent projects.
- Climate science background
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.