Defense Science and Technology Internship - Graduate Summer Student
Students | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical / 712.0 Intern Exempt
Organization: Strategic Deterrence
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Pay Range 705.2
$6,200 - $7,520 Monthly
This position is under a step structure. Please note that the step placement is determined by your most recent completed academic year.
Pay Range 712.0
$5,380 - $8,700 Monthly
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for graduate students and for students who have received their Bachelor's or Master's degree, to engage in practical research experience to further their educational goals. You will conduct research in the fields such as nuclear physics, radiation transport, hydrodynamics, astrophysics, plasma dynamics, numerical methods and computer science. Research projects combine theory with computation and are geared to further the students’ educational goals. This position is in the Strategic Deterrence Directorate.
- Develop and/or employ high performance scientific software to complete novel research tasks.
- Work with mentors under limited supervision on your assigned project.
- Present an oral presentation of each project at the end of the summer.
- Present your work at a poster session.
- Work on projects of greater complexity and given more freedom and responsibility to come up with fundamental solutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited university and actively pursuing a graduate degree or completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree with a focus in Physics, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or a related field.
- Must have experience applying basic principles of physics, engineering and/or computer science to solve technical problems.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Math, Physics and Engineering majors should intend to complete a Ph.D.
- Students should have a track record of achievement in their field of study.
Qualifications We Desire
- Coding experience (e.g., Python, C++).
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
Application Deadline January 16, 2024
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, this position involves U.S. Export Control; this work must be performed by a U.S. person (U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident, U.S. national, or U.S. protected individual (e.g., refugee, asylee)).
If your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now