Atmospheric Science-Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are excited to offer an opportunity for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research studying troposphere-stratosphere dynamics including data analysis of satellite observations, developing techniques to retrieve atmospheric gravity waves and turbulence, and general circulation modeling. Research projects require diverse skills in atmospheric observations and modeling, which often requires development of atmospheric simulation codes for improved performance. Familiarity with turbulence and gravity wave modeling and atmospheric physics parameterizations is desired. You will work with a multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, programmers, and project managers to analyze new satellite data, apply new modeling capabilities, and perform satellite data acquisition to investigate small-scale atmospheric gravity waves and turbulence in the stratosphere.
This position is in the Atmospheric, Earth & Energy Division, Atmospheric Science Research and Applications Group.
In this role you will
- Conduct creative research in the field of atmospheric modeling.
- Develop, validate, and apply algorithms to retrieve atmospheric gravity waves and turbulence from stellar occultation satellite observations.
- Develop, run, and validate computer models to simulate propagation of atmospheric gravity waves and circulation.
- Analyze model and observational datasets relevant to stratospheric disturbances.
- Document research by publishing papers in peer-reviewed journals and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in atmospheric science, mechanical, civil or environmental engineering, computational science, geophysics, or a closely related field.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: atmospheric science, multi-scale or mesoscale atmospheric modeling, stratospheric turbulence, atmospheric gravity waves, general circulation modeling, weather modeling, or observational data analysis.
- Familiarity with programming languages such as Fortran, Python, and MATLAB.
- Experience with high performance computing or interest in learning this skill.
- Experience conducting research in atmospheric science, engineering, or a closely related field.
- Ability to travel as required to collaborate with researchers or attend meetings and conferences.
- Experience with large model and observational datasets, modern programming environments, and visualization techniques.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, as evidenced by published results and presentations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with numerical methods and modern model development practices.
- Experience with the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model or a general circulation model such as the Energy Exascale Earth System Model (E3SM).
- Familiarity with atmospheric gravity waves including theory, observations, modeling.
- Familiarity with uncertainty quantification, ensembles, and statistical analysis.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now