CGSR Research Associate -- Spring/Summer Intern 2024
Students | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical / 712.0 Intern Exempt
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$6,200 to $7,520 monthly.
Salaries are based on a step structure. The step is based on academic level. Transcripts are required.
The Center for Global Security Research (CGSR) was established at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) in 1996 to bring together experts from the science, technology, and policy communities to address pressing national security challenges. For over 20 years, CGSR has engaged diverse perspectives on topics important to national security, deterrence, diplomacy, dual-use technology, arms control, nonproliferation, space, cyber, climate, biosecurity, and energy security.
We have openings in the Spring/Summer of 2024 for master’s and PhD students and for students who have received a bachelor’s or master’s degree to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. Students will work with CGSR over the duration of three to five months as a research associate (RA). RAs will engage in practical research to further their educational and career goals, while also supporting U.S. policymakers in developing strategies for national security. Examples of relevant fields of research include nuclear deterrence, arms control, nonproliferation, emerging technologies, cybersecurity, biological & chemical security, energy security, climate security, and international relations.
CGSR’s Objectives are as follows:
- Explore the dynamics of potential 21st century strategic conflicts (i.e., those with a potential nuclear aspect) and to formulate ideas about how to achieve U.S. deterrence and other objectives in such conflicts.
- Explore the sources and characteristics of strategic competition in the emerging security environment and to formulate organizing concepts to enhance the competitive position of the United States and its allies and partners over the long term.
- Identify whether and how technically based approaches can address new challenges to national and international security.
- Catalyze broader national and international thinking about the requirements of effective deterrence, assurance, and strategic stability in a changed and changing security environment.
- Assist in the development of new generations of experts motivated by a clear view of the changed and changing security environment, including in the fields of biological and chemical security as well as energy and climate security.
More information on CGSR, its research focus areas, and its publications can be found at https://cgsr.llnl.gov/
In This Role You Will
- Support the CGSR organization through contributions to ongoing research activities. Tasks may include contributing to literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, and workshop summary reports.
- Provide analysis to ongoing work, involving a moderate to high degree of technical and analytic complexity.
- Assisting in the planning and execution of workshops to support CGSR research efforts.
- Gather and analyze data and information in support of broader CGSR research efforts.
- Conduct an independent research project on an agreed upon topic aligned with CGSR research priorities.
- Participate in research planning and evaluation discussions with other members of the CGSR staff.
- Attend relevant research seminars, speakers’ series, and workshops.
- Present research to LLNL staff at end of the assignment.
- Prepare end-of-assignment technical report or publication.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This job will be closed to applicants on February 4, 2024.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited university and actively pursuing a graduate degree or have completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree in a field of research aligned with CGSR or LLNL analytic priorities. Areas of study include international relations and/or security, political science, economics, public policy, emerging technologies, non-proliferation, energy and/or climate studies, biosecurity, foreign language studies, or related fields.
- Demonstrated academic and/or professional achievement in a relevant field of research aligned with CGSR or LLNL analytic priorities.
- Strong record of independent research and publication, or a strong proposal of research to be done while at CGSR and in future academic and professional settings.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now