Postdoctoral Researcher - Structural Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$ 126,720 Annually
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in the area of structural bioinformatics and functional genomics. You will explore opportunities to further scientific capabilities in characterization of protein binding sites and detection off-target proteins that cause drug side effects. You will develop new tools and algorithms for proteomic sequence-structure data analysis in the context of modeling human proteins that have not been yet experimentally solved, verifying the quality of constructed models, and identifying and characterizing the specificity of protein binding sites. This position is in the Biomolecular Design and Development Group within Computing’s Global Security Computing Applications Division.
- Research, develop, and implement computational techniques to model and predict relationships among protein sequence, structure, function and interactions, learning from both general data as well as protein target-specific data.
- Conduct proteomics data analysis.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research at seminars, technical meetings, and conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Statistics, or a related field.
- Experience in developing software with Python, R, or C++.
- Experience improving software infrastructure for multiomics, such as, building databases or automating pipelines on HPC environments.
- Ability to evaluate/interpret the validity of data, developed technologies, and obtained results.
- Ability to complete independent research projects, as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to present technical information and effectively collaborate in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with current bioinformatics tools for protein sequence-structure analysis, functional annotation of proteins/systems biology, and protein modeling techniques.
- Experience with multiomic datasets including proteomics, metabolomics, epigenetics and transcriptomics.
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms applied to biology, in general, and large language models applied to genes or proteins, in particular.
- Broad experience with data analysis algorithms, data management approaches, relational databases.
- Publication record demonstrating research in computational biology.
- Experience in high performance computing environments.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.