Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are excited to offer an opportunity for a Postdoctoral Researcher to support LLNL’s Geophysical Monitoring Program (GMP). In this position, you will work on a project using machine learning to enable fast and accurate scientific simulations. You will also work with the broader GMP team and have access to extensive seismic research capabilities. This position is in the Seismology Group within the Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy Division (AEED) in the Physical and Life Sciences (PLS) Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct original and independent research, in collaboration with other LLNL researchers, on improving our understanding of earthquakes and explosions, with the goal of advancing capabilities to discriminate between seismic source types.
- Assist in a Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD) project to use Neural Operators for fast and accurate seismic simulations, with application to seismic tomography and moment tensor inversions.
- Explore new technologies and data analysis techniques that may improve seismic simulations at large scale.
- Present research at scientific meetings and publish results in peer reviewed journals.
- Work as part of a scientific team and interact with GMP and other researchers to design and implement research projects, while coordinating program requirements and deliverables for sponsors, including program reviews and technical reports.
- Interact with sponsors, customers, partners, and data providers including universities, U.S. government agencies, national laboratories, foreign data providers, consortia, and international organizations.
- Travel to assist with experiment execution, data collection, to interact with collaborators, sponsors and research customers and to present results at scientific meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in seismology, geophysics, or related field.
- Creativity, ability, and knowledge in quantitative seismology.
- Experience in machine learning applied to seismological applications.
- Proficiency in organizing and analyzing large databases of waveforms, events, amplitudes, and arrivals for performing quantitative analyses.
- Familiarity with seismological and geophysical methods for characterizing the subsurface, such as tomography and moment tensor inversions.
- Experience with programming (e.g. Java, C/C++, and/or Python, git), and experience with diverse computing environments (Mac or PC, Linux platforms).
- Ability to interact effectively with a team of interdisciplinary scientists having different backgrounds.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present, explain and publish technical information.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in utilizing fiber optic (DAS) and/or other borehole sensor data
- Experience in international collaboration.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now