Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$132,810 - $170,556 Annually for the SES.2 level
$159,330 - $204,636 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We're looking for a Network Engineer with experience in network monitoring, automation, and day-to-day operations. You will be responsible for the configuration, maintenance, and deployment of network hardware and software, and the troubleshooting of complex network infrastructures, with emphasis on data center operations. This position is in the Livermore Computing (LC) Division’s Network and Security Operations Group within the Computing Directorate.
This position requires an on-site presence, and therefore will have limited telecommuting options.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Configure and troubleshoot VLANs, routing protocols (EIGRP, OSPF, BGP), software defined networks (SDN), policy-based routing (PBR), STP, HSRP and firewalls in large, complex networks, network services, enterprise services and applications relating to network technologies.
- Troubleshoot and operationally support network security and firewall configurations, as well as edge, core, distribution, and access layers.
- Formulate network design solutions and implementation methodologies, collaborating on projects in an organized and detail-oriented manner.
- Define network requirements and solutions to meet customer needs, interfacing with LLNL customers.
- Participate in an on-call rotation and perform occasional work outside normal business hours to provide support for network operations and maintenance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3
- Advise on complex HPC datacenter environments, including highly advanced networks spanning one or more IT disciplines.
- Architect and implement HPC datacenter networks, utilizing modern networking overlay technologies including EVPN, VXLan, Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI), etc.
- Develop innovative solutions that will eventually lead to a cohesive, structured, and secured network environment.
- Lead and/or significantly contribute to efforts to solve complex production or implementation issues.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Information Systems or related field, or the equivalent level of education and related experience.
- Experience troubleshooting network issues from end-to-end.
- Comprehensive knowledge of standards governing both TCP/IP and Ethernet.
- Knowledge of L2/L3 network principles.
- Broad experience configuring, operating, monitoring, and managing switches and routers or equivalent network equipment.
- Experience working within Linux environments.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Experience leading significant network improvement or deployment projects.
- Significant experience configuring and managing firewalls.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience configuring and managing medium to large HPC datacenter and enterprise networks in LAN & WAN environments.
- Ability to troubleshoot infrastructure capacity/performance problems and propose solutions.
- Solid foundation in high-performance computing, experience working with large supercomputers, various interconnected SAN filesystems and tape backup storage systems.
- Experience supporting secure, highly reliable, enterprise networks.
- Experience with scripting or network automation (e.g., Python, bash, Ansible).
- Strong understanding of ACI concepts.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.