Industrial Safety Professional
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$118,290.00 - $151,932.00 Annually for the TSS.2 level
$142,050.00 - $182,388.00 Annually for the TSS.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Industrial Safety Professionals in the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate to provide comprehensive industrial safety support to LLNL programs and operations requiring a broad application of practices and procedures. You will interact with all levels of personnel and management from the ES&H Directorate and LLNL programs, and external regulatory agencies.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Provide comprehensive industrial safety support to LLNL programs and operations in specific areas of assignment.
- Investigate accidents/incidents and reports of occupational injury/illness for possible root causes, prepare necessary documentation, recommend and implement appropriate solutions to eliminate exposure to these risks and prevent injury, and provide emergency response support to safety incidents on-site.
- Evaluate industrial and construction-related activities; conduct health and safety (H&S) evaluations and inspections of buildings, facilities, equipment, and apparatus to identify H&S related hazards/deficiencies and provide program management with recommendations to resolve safety-related issues.
- Review results of H&S compliance audits and inspections with management, provide recommendations for correction (and prevention of recurrence) of non-compliance findings, and identify necessary follow-up measures to ensure future compliance.
- Advise Laboratory scientists, engineers, and other programmatic personnel in developing solutions to moderately complex safety-related problems.
- Write and review technical reports and review and evaluate new H&S standards, procedures, drawings, and diagrams for conformance to DOE standards and other applicable requirements; develop and present safety courses in IS or related topics.
- Review Facility Safety Plans, Work Control Documents, Safety Analysis Reports, Engineering Designs, subcontractor H&S submittals and other technical documents in collaboration with program management; develop a Discipline Action Plan (DAP) for specific areas of coverage using the generic DAP provided by the Worker Safety and Health (WSH) Functional Area.
- Satisfactorily complete the Discipline qualification plan requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Provide advanced industrial safety support to LLNL programs and operations in specific areas of assignment.
- Advise Laboratory scientists, engineers, and other programmatic personnel in developing solutions to complex safety-related problems.
- Serve as a program owner for one or more advanced IS programs for the institution.
- Mentor less experienced H&S personnel.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific, technical or health and safety related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in industrial safety, construction safety, material handling, electrical safety, working at elevated heights, ergonomics, laboratory research as well as related state and federal regulations and other consensus standards.
- Experience preparing safety plans and technical reports; conducting safety audits, inspections, risk assessments, and successfully working potential compliance issues with program customers and external inspectors and regulators.
- Experience providing emergency response and participation in the investigation of incidents or accidents involving hazards relating to industrial safety.
- Analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Experience building strong working relationships and trust with a demanding customer base, a strong customer service ethos, and results driven orientation.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Advanced experience in construction safety, material handling, electrical safety, working at elevated heights, ergonomics, laboratory research, and occupational H&S.
- Advanced knowledge of related state and federal regulations and other consensus standards.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate complex technical information to all levels of management, both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated advanced analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for complex health and safety problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Occupational Safety or other scientific, technical or health and safety related field.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) Certification by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP).
- Knowledge of Department of Energy (DOE) Orders.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.