Program Manager, Leadership & Development
Human Resources | livermore, CA | 01/11/2024
Job Code: H04.3 Training Specialist 3
Organization: Human Resource Management
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE L clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$107,550.00 - $133,524.00 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Program Manager, Leadership & Development in the Workforce and Organization Development Division. This role has oversight responsibilities for the analysis, design, development, implementation, evaluation, administration, promotion, and facilitation of the Laboratory’s Leadership Development programs, processes, and initiatives at all levels. This will include and is not limited to new leaders through senior leadership and high potential leadership development programs.
The selected candidate will work in a collaborative team environment requiring a high degree of innovation, flexibility, executive presence, discretion, and tact. They will also have frequent interactions with all levels of LLNL management, employees, internal and external instructors/agencies, service vendors, professional organizations, and event participants.
This position is in the Workforce and Organization Development (WOD) Division in the HR Directorate.
- Own, lead, guide, and manage the analysis, design, development, implementation, evaluation, administration, and promotion of the Laboratory’s leadership development programs; recommend effective strategies and approaches to assure that high-quality services are aligned and integrated with programmatic and business objectives.
- Research/curate content and facilitate engaging top notch development programs; coordinate and deliver a seamless end-to-end learner experience from thoughtful design to expert presentation across the Laboratory for a variety of audiences leveraging various learning modalities, including blended, virtual, flipped classroom, in-person, coaching circles and more.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, using their skills and expertise to ensure leading industry practices are identified and innovative learning solutions are implemented to deliver impactful programs that connect to frameworks, competencies, goals, and strategic initiatives at LLNL.
- Benchmark, evaluate and measure program/training success with data, track performance metrics, ongoing program effectiveness, and report current state health of the programs and continuous improvement recommendations to leadership and senior management.
- Manage operational aspects of development programs, including scheduling courses, budget forecasting and tracking, program risk management, communication, and diagnostics. Maintain spreadsheets, databases, and files, including tracking costs for program budgets, and ensuring all administrative and training coordination details for programs are handled appropriately.
- Consult with customers, vendors, stakeholders, and subject matter experts to assure that development programs meet employee needs, strategic initiatives, regulatory drivers, contractual requirements, and best practices. Serve as a resource and thought leader to employees and leaders on new (and follow-up) development programs, products, and services.
- Plan, organize, schedule, and prioritize workload while managing numerous interruptions and collaborating with Learning & Development, HR, and Lab team members to effectively deliver relevant development programs and materials for participants, facilitators, and virtual producers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE L-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Leadership, Business Administration, Training and Development, Organizational Development, Human Resources, Industrial Psychology, Adult Education; or equivalent combination of education, knowledge, and related practical experience.
- Advanced experience designing, delivering, managing, promoting, and administering large scale institution-wide development programs from inception to delivery that focus on the integration of adult learning principles, systematic approaches to training (e.g., ADDIE, SAM, 6D’s etc.), evaluation and advanced cutting-edge technology to develop innovative and interactive learning experiences.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication, executive presence, interpersonal, facilitation and collaboration skills necessary to assess, write, edit, present, explain, advise, influence, and communicate program content and complex information to all levels of personnel.
- Experience working effectively with all levels of management, including top executive level, scientific, engineering, and administrative personnel with a commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, accountability, continuous improvement, a passion for people and openness to new ideas/perspectives.
- Advanced leadership, organizational, problem solving, decision making and analytical skills necessary to independently advise, recommend and approve appropriate actions and implement effective leadership development curricula and solutions; growth-mindset and passionate about creating unique and exceptional learning experiences that develop employees, leaders and organizations to be their best.
- Effective organization, project-management, time-management, and self-management skills with detail orientation necessary to handle multiple complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight/changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and follow-through. Ability to work independently and effectively in a collaborative team environment/matrixed organization with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting tight deadlines.
- Experience successfully developing/managing a budget; technically savvy with application and productivity software (e.g., Adobe CC Suite, Microsoft 365), and virtual platforms (e.g., Webex, Teams).
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree in Leadership, Business Administration, Training and Development, Organizational Development, Human Resources, Industrial Psychology, Adult Education; or equivalent combination of education, knowledge, and related practical experience.
- Certifications in coaching, leadership, change management, Human Resources certification (HRCI/SHRM), and learning programs/tools (e.g., 360’s (Human Synergistics, Extraordinary Leader), Behavioral Assessments (DiSC), etc. preferred.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.