Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department Head - Active Security Clearance Required
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 11/16/2023
Job Code: TSM.3 Technical Manager 3
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$334,710 - $431,964 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for Department Head of the Infrastructure Engineering & Operations Department (IEOD). You will provide strategic and technical oversight for operations and engineering for facilities and infrastructure in order to meet the goals and objectives of customers and stakeholders. You will be a key member of the Infrastructure & Operations (I&O) Senior Management Team and report directly to the Associate Director for I&O, ensuring through proactive methods, that all business activities are conducted in a safe, secure, compliant, and efficient manner. Additionally, you will maintain high Conduct of Operations standards and expectations included in the LLNS contract and mandated by the DOE. This position is in the Infrastructure & Operations Directorate within the Operations & Business (O&B) Principal Directorate.
- Provide overall leadership, direction and technical oversight, and personnel administration to the Infrastructure Operations and Engineering Department championing the Laboratory’s Safety culture through the delivery of safe and reliable facilities and services that enable successful mission execution.
- Oversee the development and implementation of design and process engineering services for civil, mechanical, and building control systems. Ensure Laboratory infrastructure operates efficiently, is safe, serviceable, and complies with DOE requirements, policies, and regulations.
- Oversee asset acquisition and strategy to commission and transition to operations new facilities, equipment and systems while identifying efficiency and cost improvement opportunities for commissioning or retro commissioning, maintain laboratory construction standards and specifications.
- Collaborate with the Infrastructure Utilities and Maintenance Department and the Office of Laboratory Infrastructure to establish and maintain a comprehensive maintenance strategy for the Laboratory’s institutional facilities, equipment, and systems including deferred maintenance needs and infrastructure improvements.
- Oversee the Department’s performance management and compensation procedures; manage hiring and recruiting activities. This includes career development of employees to ensure their success, as well as succession planning. Ensure implementation of LLNL policies regarding safety, ES&H, EEO, diversity and inclusion, and business operations.
- Execute and manage effective assessment programs, establish key metrics, and monitor department performance to meet the organization's goals and objectives.
- Develop and manage the department operating budget for maintaining laboratory infrastructure and construction standards, preventative and predictive maintenance plans, building information systems, and implementation of changes in codes and standards. Interact and negotiate with senior management, executives, and internal/external stakeholders on matters of primary importance to the success of the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, facility management, or related technical field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive technical and leadership skills and experience including managing large budgets and delivering programmatic results. Significant experience managing a large workforce spanning a variety of disciplines.
- Advanced knowledge and extensive experience interpreting and applying codes and standards related to facility operations, such as building code, electrical code, fire code and state and federal OSHA requirements.
- Experience developing or maintaining specifications and technical standards for construction projects and experience applying life-cycle cost analysis, total cost of ownership or other financial strategies to evaluate construction and maintenance costs.
- Expert problem solving, decision making, and analytical skills necessary to independently advise, recommend, and resolve highly complex problems having organization-wide impact.
- Significant experience with strategic planning, workforce planning, managing budgets, organizational dynamics, and establishing strategic and operational goals.
- Extensive experience in performance management and supervision of department staff and managers, including performance issues, career development, annual performance appraisals, and salary management with the ability to motivate and inspire a diverse group of professional (exempt/non-exempt) personnel.
- Expert interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written, necessary to effectively explain, direct, present, advise, negotiate, and influence all levels of management, both internal and external to the Laboratory.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced degree in Business Management, Management, Civil Engineering or related field or licensed Professional Engineer (PE) and/or International Facility Management Associate (IFMA), Building Owners and Managers Institute (BOMI) certifications, or PMI certified Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Extensive experience developing and implementing policies and procedures relating to nuclear and non-nuclear facilities and infrastructure maintenance, as well as maintenance planning and operations.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.