Electric Utility Distribution Electrician
Craft and Skilled Trades | livermore, CA | 11/13/2023
Job Code: 827.1 High Voltage Electrician
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$46.66 - $53.99 Hourly
This position is under a Collective Bargaining Agreement and step structure. Step placement will be determined after your qualifications are fully assessed during the interview process.
We're looking for an Electric Utility Distribution Electrician to perform a variety of specialized journey-level electrical functions including maintenance, operations, installation, repair, replacement, testing, troubleshooting, and commissioning activities on medium-voltage and high-voltage electric utility systems and equipment. This position is in the Electric Utility Division of the Infrastructure Maintenance & Utilities Department, and may require work at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
- Perform journey-level electrical work.
- Perform maintenance, switching operations, installation, repair, replacement, testing, troubleshooting, and commissioning on transformers, switches, power circuit breakers, metal-clad switchgear line-ups, manholes, cables, protective relays, metering circuits, control circuits, and other electrical equipment used in the distribution of electric power at the 5kV, 15kV, and 115kV voltage levels.
- Work with other craft personnel and provide technical guidance.
- Provide effective and timely customer service to clients and team members.
- Prepare and deliver reports; fill out preventative maintenance requests, deficiency reports, and work orders using a personal computer.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Completion of apprenticeship program in the electrician trade or equivalent experience.
- Basic journey-level skills, knowledge and abilities in the electrician trade including proficiency in the use of all tools of the trade, operating at 1000V and above.
- Knowledge and ability to maintain, operate, install, repair, replace, test, troubleshoot, and/or commission transformers, switches, power circuit breakers, metal-clad switchgear line-ups, manholes, cables, protective relays, metering circuits, control circuits, and/or other electrical equipment used in the distribution of electric power at the 5kV, 15kV, or 115kV voltage levels.
- Demonstrated customer service and communication skills necessary to interact tactfully and diplomatically in writing and verbally with all levels of technical and administrative personnel.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a team member.
- Basic knowledge of personal computers and related software (e.g., email, Microsoft Word, etc.) to prepare logs and reports, send and receive emails, perform computer-based training, and timekeeping entry.
- Ability to work scheduled, on-call, and emergency overtime.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Class C Driver’s License.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience pulling, splicing, and terminating 5kV and 15kV cable.
- Experience reading electrical diagrams, testing protective relays, and working from drawings.
- Knowledge of National Electrical Safety Code and OSHA Safety Regulations.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.