Accountant Mid/Senior (Audit Liaison)
Finance & Accounting | livermore, CA | 11/13/2023
Job Code: C02.3 Accountant 3
Organization: Chief Financial Officer
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$104,370 - $129,588 Annual
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Accountant to serve as the Office of the Chief Finance Officer (OCFO) Audit Liaison in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. Under the day-to-day direction of the OCFO Subject Matter Expert (SME) Audit Liaison, this position will be responsible for assisting in the coordination of financial audits conducted by internal and external audit organizations throughout the year. The position includes interfacing with auditing organizations, managing tracking audit request items, assuring participation by cognizant process owners, analyzing the basis for documentation requested and provided, guiding the preparation, analysis, and review of complex institutional accounting information. This position will coordinate and participate in opening, interim, and closing audit conferences supporting the OCFO SME Audit Liaison. The individual in this role will assist in maintaining responsive and supportive relations with the LLNL Audit Coordinator in the Office of Laboratory Oversight, Laboratory Managers, the Department Of Energy (DOE) Contracting Officer, and functional managers as well as staff across the Laboratory. This position is in the Compliance and Controls Division, Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) Organization.
In this role you will:
- Serve as a resource for OCFO financial processes and system operations with respect to audits.
- Serve as a supporting Point of Contact (POC) for the 40+ internal and external financial audits of LLNL annually, including the Office of Inspector General (OIG)financial statement and incurred cost audits.
- Apply accounting knowledge, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS), and Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), to correctly interpret complex financial and accounting concepts, policies, and procedures. Understanding of the flow, procedural, and internal control impact of financial accounting systems.
- Assure accurate, appropriate, and timely input to the SME Audit Liaison for responses to audit requests, factual accuracy reviews of potential audit findings, and analysis and interpretation of audit reports.
- Assist in maintaining detailed and accurate records of audits as they progress and maintain audit-related information in the DOE MAX system, the Laboratory DevonWay ITS component, and ConTrak tracking systems as directed by the OCFO SME Audit Liaison
- Contribute to the development of training modules to guide and mentor other accounting personnel in the conduct of audits and in providing timely and accurate responses to auditors.
- Support the identification of improvement opportunities to accounting operations resulting from insight gained during the audit process, identify ways to improve economy, efficiency and effectiveness and assist in developing presentations to management for consideration.
- In support of the OCFO SME Audit Liaison, participate in the development of the annual Management Representation Letter to be provided to NNSA, a Contract 44 requirement.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics or related field, or the equivalent combination of related work experience.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS), Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) and the GAO Standards of Internal Control to accurately interpret audit issues and develop substantiating documentation.
- Meaningful experience with accounting theory, policies and procedures, financial systems analysis, and financial systems and controls, to research complex audit/accounting issues, compile relevant data, and to develop substantiating documentation for audit purposes.
- Substantive knowledge and/or experience with multiple financial operations/accounting areas such as Financial Reporting, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll, and Cost Management, to address audit areas and determine adequacy of responses.
- Significant experience applying strong analytical skills to independently research, interpret, analyze, compile and present highly complex financial data and information.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral, to effectively prepare and deliver financial documentation and reports as well as honed organizational skills to independently establish priorities and to support the execution of complex business and financial assignments meeting critical time-urgent deadlines. Experience working in a fast-paced team environment.
- Significant experience in decision making, problem-solving to solve complex issues requiring mature judgment, discretion, professionalism, tact and an ability to negotiate desirable outcomes and affect policy changes.
- Expertise using interpersonal skills to effectively explain, negotiate, persuade, and build consensus among diverse stakeholders and the ability to establish effective working relationships with all levels of personnel, both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Advanced use of computers and a thorough working knowledge of associated software applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio).
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of LLNL, Department of Energy (DOE), National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), and Lawrence Livermore National Security (LLNS) financial policies, procedures, and systems
- Experience with Oracle E-Business Suite
- Knowledge and understanding of government contracts, federal budget process and financial systems analysis concepts, applicable Federal Regulations, and Contract 44 requirements
- Current or previous certification as a CPA, CFE, CIA, or other related certification
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now