Atmospheric Science-Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 11/09/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are excited to offer an opportunity for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in atmospheric and land-surface modeling in urban areas to study urban heat extremes under future climate change. Research will entail model development in a new exascale atmospheric code, including representation of urban and complex terrain and implementing land-surface models for urban areas. Multiscale simulations forced by future climate data will be conducted to assess impacts on urban areas and explore mitigation pathways. You will work within a multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, programmers, and project managers to develop, implement and apply these modeling capabilities in a state-of-the art environmental simulation framework, which will then be used to explore risk assessment, infrastructure planning, and climate change mitigation pathways. Familiarity with numerical methods and physical process modeling approaches for the atmosphere, land-surface, and urban areas is desired. This position is in the Atmospheric, Earth & Energy Division, Atmospheric Science Research and Applications Group.
- Develop numerical methods and physics parameterizations appropriate for multiscale urban simulations and land-surface processes (e.g. vegetation and urban canopy models)
- Implement modules into a state-of-the-art C++ based multiscale environmental solver with adaptive mesh refinement
- Conduct research in the physics of energy exchange processes that determine the temperatures of surfaces (buildings, parks, roads) in urban settings (urban climate)
- Conduct research in multiscale atmospheric simulation to downscale future climate scenarios to urban areas
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of code physics development and scientific inquiry
- Work with other experts in a large team to facilitate synergistic model development and high-impact science
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research in journal publications and at professional conferences
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests of your choosing
- Interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory
- Perform other duties as assigned
- PhD in atmospheric science, meteorology, engineering, or similar field.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: numerical simulation methods for atmosphere, land-surface, and urban areas; physical process modeling of land surface and urban energy exchange, advanced scientific programming in C++
- Demonstrated ability to develop independent research pathways as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Demonstrated proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Demonstrated initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with multiscale or urban scale atmospheric modeling
- Experience with canopy models used in atmospheric simulations
- Experience with numerical methods for complex terrain, such as embedded or immersed boundaries
- Experience with adaptive mesh refinement
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now