Applications Operations Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 11/09/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
This position requires an on-site presence multiple days a week, and therefore will have limited telecommuting options.
We have openings for multiple Applications Operations Engineers (AppOps Engineers) to support the Strategic Deterrence Applications (SD Apps) organization. As part of a team of developers, engineers, and other technical staff, you will have primary responsibility for the configuration, administration, and operational maintenance of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) and custom-developed enterprise application software in close collaboration with SD IT. These positions are in the Applications, Simulation, and Quality Division within the Computing Directorate.
These positions will be filled at the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
$123,960 - $166,992 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
In this role you will
- Work with solution architects and software engineers to select and implement solution components and software deployment models for COTS and custom-developed enterprise application software.
- Deploy, update, administer, and maintain operations of enterprise applications for a diverse, multi-disciplinary customer base.
- Configure server operating system and application software parameters, perform application security hardening, integrate with infrastructure services (such as database, authentication, logging, and monitoring services), and develop scripts to automate execution of these tasks.
- Establish and maintain database connections and integrations with other enterprise applications and services, and troubleshoot related technical problems.
- Manage application upgrade schedules, tracking complex system dependencies and cybersecurity requirements, negotiating downtime with stakeholders, and performing related integration and functional testing.
- Implement and/or configure application monitoring and analyze and address related performance and security issues, including vulnerability remediation as required.
- Work with system administrators, technical operations, and platform engineering staff to develop and implement approaches to improve operational efficiency and compliance.
- Provide advanced Tier 2 applications support and function as backup to Tier 1 applications support staff and systems, database, and/or application administrators and as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Manage complex integrations with enterprise identity management, authentication, authorization, and auditing services and provide related consultative support to other AppOps Engineers.
- Design and implement custom features and modules to extend application functions using established APIs and/or API gateways.
- Provide comprehensive Tier 3 applications support and consult with Tier 4 support as needed.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship. (Include this qualification when a Q level clearance is required)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Broad experience in analytical troubleshooting and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to independently triage and resolve complex technical problems, while managing competing priorities.
- Proficient interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, necessary to effectively collaborate as part of a cohesive, multi-disciplinary team.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of and technical experience deploying and maintaining enterprise applications running on Windows and/or Linux operating systems in bare metal and/or virtual environments.
- Experience with a range of modern computing technologies and practices, including high-level programming languages and related frameworks, SQL and/or NoSQL databases, common integrated development environments, and Agile and waterfall development methods.
- Comprehensive experience writing how-to guidelines and presenting tailored training information in a hybrid environment and/or mixed security networks.
- Familiarity with and/or proficiency in writing scripts to automate complex tasks, including batch, shell, Python, and/or YAML scripts.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced experience informing and implementing application security plans or authoring application core service descriptions. Experience configuring application components to security configuration standards (CIS, STIGs, or equivalent).
- Significant experience configuring COTS applications for use with SSO and knowledge of Identity and Access Management standards and protocols, such as SAML, OAuth, and OIDC.
- Significant experience leading and documenting independent work, advising management on topics like process improvement and industry best practices opportunities, and demonstrated advanced communication skills needed to partner with power users and stakeholders in architecting, delivering, and supporting COTS-based solutions.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, or related field.
- Significant experience supporting enterprise applications in a fast-paced production engineering environment, including but not limited to product data/lifecycle management, requirements management, schedule management, and enterprise risk management applications, and business intelligence and analytics, data virtualization, and visualization tools.
- Familiarity with application containerization and/or relevant professional technical certifications.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now