Materials Science, Actinide Alloys - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 11/08/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in material science of actinide alloys. You will design, evaluate, and optimize thermodynamic and kinetic experiments for metal alloys. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team of material scientists and computational experts applying thermodynamic and diffusion couple techniques for actinide materials. This project will contribute to a Laboratory Directed Research and Development project and is in the Actinide and Lanthanide Science group of the Materials Science Division.
- Design and execute bulk synthesis routes to enable and produce high-quality complex metals and alloys for applied science experiments.
- Perform complex diffusion couple experiments with actinide materials.
- Perform x-ray diffraction to characterize crystal structure, phase distributions, and strain state.
- Characterize physical properties of advanced materials, including transport and thermodynamic properties.
- Work both independently and as a member of a research team.
- Document and publish research results in external peer-reviewed scientific journals and participate in domestic and international conferences.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in Materials Science, Metallurgy, Physics, or other closely related field.
- Experience in alloy synthesis and metallurgy including evaluation of metals at high temperatures.
- Experience in related electron- and optical-microscopy methods.
- Experience with structural and crystallographic analysis, particularly x-ray diffraction.
- Experience with thermodynamic characterization including calorimetry.
- Experience performing self-directed research, presenting talks at conferences and a record of publishing results in established scientific journals.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with a broad spectrum of materials synthesis and characterization concepts and techniques, including synchrotron methods.
- Experience with diffusion couple experiments.
- Familiarity with actinide and lanthanide materials.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.