Engineering | livermore, CA | 11/08/2023
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$136,500 - $175,272 Annual (TSS.3)
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a California licensed Electrical Engineer who will prepare construction documents for new construction, remodeling, and modifications to conventional offices and laboratory facilities at LLNL. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO).
In this role, you will
- Design electrical systems predominantly for building construction projects including power distribution systems, lighting, grounding, and other signal systems. Apply NEC Code standards to design solutions associated with LLNL’s electrical infrastructure for new construction, remodeling, and expansion of conventional office and laboratory facilities, and equipment.
- Lead multiple complex internal electrical projects with responsibility for the development and compliance with technical criteria, budgets, schedules, deliverables, and direct the work of electrical designers and drafters preparing models and drawings in AutoCAD and Revit for projects.
- Determine functional electrical requirements for new or modified specialized equipment and support systems and prepare complex technical drawings, specifications, and advanced calculations (e.g. load flow, branch, short circuit, arc flash, system reliability, relay coordination, motor starting, etc).
- Review designs prepared by subcontracted engineers for code and standard compliance, and constructability.
- Represent the organization in providing engineering solutions to a diverse range of moderate to complex facility electrical technical issues and/or problems associated with specific projects including participating in design reviews to obtain approvals of project scope and designs.
- Partner with electrical supply vendors to select, specify, and procure electrical components utilized in designs.
- Perform independent technical tasks associated with the engineering, planning, design, and construction of projects associated with LLNL’s electrical infrastructure.
- Provide engineering support during construction by reviewing submittals and shop drawings, responding to contractor questions, evaluating change order requests, resolving field problems, and performing inspections..
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and electrical engineering design experience, Professional Engineering registration in Electrical Engineering in the State of California or reciprocity from another state within twelve months.
- Experience in a technical leadership role in electrical design projects with technical, analytical and decision-making skills with the ability to organize and effectively coordinate multiple and frequently conflicting, concurrent tasks, with good follow-through.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in design work with the application of electrical power distribution system components such as transformers, switchgears, switchboards, distribution panelboards, motor control centers, automatic transfer switches, uninterrupted power sources, backup generators, lighting, and grounding systems.
- Significant experience preparing electrical one-line diagrams, load studies, branch and short-circuit analysis, arc flash calculations, electrical building layouts, area classification drawings, and size relative electrical equipment.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills to collaborate in a team environment and effectively present and explain technical information and provide advice to project managers and stakeholders.
- Significant experience generating correspondence, reports, calculations, and presentations using Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD and Revit, SKM Power Tools, Agi32, and other applicable software.
- Advanced knowledge, California Electrical Code and Building Energy Efficiency Standards (Title 24), National Electrical Code (NEC), Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace (NFPA 70E), National Electrical Manufacture Association (NEMA), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), International Electrical Testing Association (NETA), Underwriter Laboratories (UL), and 13.8kV electrical utility systems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of DOE Orders and Code of Federal Regulations 12.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.