PCB Designer - Mid/Senior
Engineering | livermore, CA | 11/08/2023
Job Code: 334.1 Engineering Design Associate / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$109,350 - $164,328 Annually
$109,350 - $135,756 Annually for the 334.1 level
$132,360 - $164,328 Annually for the 339.2 level
We have an opening for a highly qualified Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Designer in the Integrated Engineering and Design Group (IE&DG). The design/drafting group within IE&DG provides a “central drafting” function supporting a wide variety of internal customers. This position will require the PCB Designer to have the ability to be flexible, working with various groups/projects that require design assistance. Under minimal supervision, you will provide advanced technical support in PCB and electronics drafting and design; interpret and translate concepts into design layouts with supportive calculations and documentation. You will prepare complex electronics drawing packages comprised of PWB, finished interconnection, fabrication assembly, and installation drawings of systems, facilities, and projects. You will also solve complex technical problems in a team environment and have regular contact outside the work unit. The successful candidate may have technical lead responsibilities and review drawings for quality. This position may require you to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. This position is in the IE&DG in the National Security Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Analyze, interpret, and create electronics design requirements, schedules, and costs. Generate or drive complex electronics design solutions that address requirements and constraints, and translate these solutions into PCB, layout, chassis, detailed interconnection, fabrication, schematic, wiring, and assembly drawings. PCB designs and layouts include multi-layer, analog, digital, high-speed, strip line, matched impedance, high voltage, pulse power, high speed RF, etc.
- Provide supporting documentation for electronics design solutions that may include analysis, calculations, schedules, costing, and procedures.
- Incorporate advanced knowledge of CAD modeling and design concepts using AutoCAD 2021 and above (2D and 3D), PADS, and Altium software.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and high-level technical personnel to independently formulate and develop advanced design and documentation efforts.
- Participate in or lead formal design review process. Interact productively with vendors, customers, and other associates outside the work unit. Work independently and in a team environment.
- Maintain documentation in a configuration management system.
- Provide technical advice and solutions in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies; keep training current.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Provide highly advanced technical and related lead expertise in the areas of electronics engineering technology including planning, design, fabrication, project support, testing, and evaluation where the qualitative and quantitative complexity of the project assignment demands original and innovative problem solutions.
- Review and verify the accuracy of drawings to ensure they comply with applicable standards and sound design practices. Provide feedback and recommendations of drawing and design improvements.
- Provide division and programmatic representation at meetings, briefings, and other activities both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Contribute to preliminary design concepts for layout, hardware, componentry, and systems including making independent judgment and decisions.
- Estimate scheduling and costs to determine effective methods in design, materials, and time to meet project deliverables and prepare and present technical material for design reviews, procedures, and other related documentation.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Advanced experience in PCB and electrical engineering and development. Ability to generate complex PCB designs and layouts, interconnection and wiring diagrams, assembly drawings, panel and chassis layouts, silkscreens, printed wiring board (PWB) layouts, and associated mechanical detail drawings.
- Advanced knowledge of all the following: through-hole and surface mount printed wiring board layout techniques; drafting procedures and vendor products; Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (ASME Y14.5); materials and fabrication techniques.
- Advanced experience with AutoCAD 2021 2D and 3D, PADS (Logic, Layout, and Router); with configuration/CAD management software; and Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex design requirements, and to exercise creativity and judgment in solving electronic design problems.
- Advanced written, verbal, feedback, and presentation communication skills necessary to interact with multi-disciplinary teams. Ability to multitask and maintain a high-level of accuracy.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Highly advanced knowledge and ability to generate complex PCB designs and layouts, interconnection and wiring diagrams, assembly drawings, panel and chassis layouts, silkscreens, printed wiring board (PWB) layouts, and associated mechanical detail drawings.
- Highly advanced knowledge of through-hole and surface mount printed wiring board layout techniques.
- Extensive experience with AutoCAD 2021 2D and 3D, PADS (Logic, Layout, and Router), and Altium; extensive experience with configuration/CAD management software.
- Extensive experience making independent, fundamental decisions regarding a variety of technical problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Electrical or Electronics Engineering or a related field.
- Applied experience with AutoCAD, PADS, and Altium CAD software.
- Applied experience with PTC’s Windchill configuration management software.
- Experience performing calculations for the design of electrical circuits.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.