Bioengineering Program Development Lead
Engineering | livermore, CA | 11/07/2023
Job Code: SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$183,840 - $236,112 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Bioengineering Program Development Lead. You will play a pivotal role in the development of advanced technology/engineering to support the institutional mission in health and biosecurity. In particular, the lab’s Bioresilience Mission Focus Area (MFA) is a future-looking initiative to counter natural and man-made biological threats by leveraging LLNL's unique competencies in high-performance computing, advanced biotechnology and bioengineering. The institutional objectives include providing early biological threat analysis, assessment, and impact prediction; drastically accelerating design, development and testing of medical countermeasures; and developing engineered platforms for automating biology to increase the throughput. This position will be in the Engineering Associate Director’s Office, and will work closely with the Technical Leads and with the Office of the Deputy Director of Science and Technology. This position will report to the Deputy Principal Associate Director for Science and Technology.
In this role you will
- Identify, prioritize, and pursue new opportunities for program development, focusing on sponsors that fund high-risk, high-reward initiatives in
- Department of Defense (DOD), specifically Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), and
- Health and Human Services (HHS), specifically Advanced Research Projects Agency for Health (ARPA-H) and Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Agency (BARDA), and align with institutional strategy and goals in health and biosecurity.
- Manage a portfolio of strategic, high-value projects to provide S&T solutions and meet sponsor and stakeholder expectations. Provide oversight and coordinate program execution.
- Work closely with the Technical Leads to develop an R&D strategy. Collaborate with the Technical Leads to develop a plan to identify internal resources needed to implement the strategy and communicate it to Leadership team.
- Develop and implement strategic plans to leverage bioengineering and laboratory technologies. Identify critical capability gaps and develop investment plans to address them.
- Work closely with the Laboratory’s Bio Resilience Mission Focus Area (MFA) leadership to support management and advisory board interactions.
- Develop/strengthen external (academia, industry) and internal strategic relationships.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree in Biosciences, Bioengineering, Business Management, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Significant experience in business/program development with federal sponsors or in biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry. Experience obtaining sustained funding. Experience with financial and budget oversight.
- Extensive experience leading, managing, and directing a large, diverse multidisciplinary and high-visibility team, building positive and collaborative working relationships among a wide range of scientific, technical, operational, and administrative staff, customers, and stakeholders.
- Advanced analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills necessary to independently interpret, advise, recommend, approve, and implement solutions/actions. Extensive experience establishing trust and credibility, and leading change effectively.
- Advanced written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills necessary to deliver presentations, prepare written reports and interact and collaborate with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
- Leadership in topics related to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accountability (IDEA).
- Ability to travel, as necessary, to interact with sponsors, customers and collaborators.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Bioengineering/Biosciences, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Knowledge of and passion for national biosecurity related programs and science and technology efforts.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.