Government Funded Student Intern (WDTS) - Spring 2024
Students | livermore, CA | 11/06/2023
Job Code: 702.0 Government Funded Intern
Organization: Human Resource Management
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Please note that the pay rate is set by the government program/agency.
WDTS Program – Spring 2024 Term
This listing is for pre-selected Office of Science (SC) WDTS Students.
If you have not previously applied to the Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientist (WDTS) Program and been selected by the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) Lab Education Director (LED) please visit https://science.osti.gov/wdts to learn more about the WDTS Program.
The mission of WDTS is to help ensure that Department of Energy (DOE) and the Nation have a sustained pipeline of highly skilled and diverse science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) workers. This is accomplished partly by support of undergraduate internships and faculty programs.
The DOE and Office of Science encourages undergraduate students and for students who have received their Bachelor's degree and have not begun graduate studies to pursue STEM careers by providing research experiences at the DOE National Laboratories. Selected faculty and students perform research, under the guidance of laboratory staff scientists or engineers, on projects related to ongoing programs.
This includes the following programs:
- Community College Internship (CCI)
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI)
In this role you will
- Complete the full 10-16 week program (based on term).
- Under close supervision, you will participate in research in assigned area.
- Complete the entrance and exit surveys through the online system provided at the beginning and the end of the internship.
- Make an oral or poster presentation on the outcome of their research activities.
- Complete and submit a research project report.
- Submit an abstract of their research in the required format.
- Submit a one-page peer review of another intern’s talk or poster. (SULI interns only)
- Attend all scheduled events including lectures, tours and group activities.
- Students should expect to spend approximately 40 hours a week working on their research projects or participating in the provided professional development opportunities
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Notification of acceptance into one of the Office of Science Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) programs.
- Selection by LLNL LED
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.