Deputy Associate Program Director - Active Clearance Required
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 11/01/2023
Job Code: TSM.1 Technical Manager 1
Organization: Strategic Deterrence
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
$242,550 - $313,020 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Deputy Associate Program Director (DAPD) for the Weapons Simulation and Computing Computational Physics (WSC/CP) Program. You will work closely with the senior management team in WSC/CP. WSC/CP shapes the future of code development in the Strategic Deterrence (SD) organization and ensures that LLNL maintains preeminence developing simulation tools in support of national security applications for NNSA. To support this broad mission, the WSC/CP program oversees a complex set of software development activities, including all Advanced Simulation and Computing (ASC) supported multi-physics software development, Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) software development, and key weapons engineering software development. Our partners and stakeholders rely on WSC/CP to provide cutting edge simulation tools through development of robust production simulation software that pushes the boundaries of simulation science and high- performance computing. To achieve these goals, the WSC/CP program has forged a strong partnership with the WSC/Livermore Computing program. This partnership is becoming even more important as computing architectures become more complex. This position comes with opportunities and challenges, and the ideal candidate will require a combination of tactical and strategic skillsets. This role is expected to require approximately 50% effort, with the balance of effort being supported by other (new or existing) programmatic activities at LLNL. This position is in the Strategic Deterrence (SD) Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Participate as a member of the WSC/CP senior management team.
- Assist the WSC/CP APD with daily operations, including budgets, meetings, reporting, staffing, awards, and headquarters interactions.
- Develop strong collaborations with WSC/CP stakeholders (both internal and external).
- Participate and lead strategic planning efforts.
- Provide technical direction for the development and implementation of the annual WSC/CP Program Plan, in collaboration with the WSC/CP Senior Management Team.
- Manage and communicate program objectives, accomplishments, and plans to WSC/CP workforce and to SD management.
- Participate in Performance Management processes.
- Recognize, create, and implement plans to promote and foster a culture of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- PhD in Physics, Engineering or related technical field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive experience in computational science, computer science, data science, high-performance computing, and/or significant experience as a WSC/CP customer.
- Expert communication skills, both written and verbal, necessary to effectively explain, present, negotiate, advise, and influence all levels of management and government officials.
- Experience managing with a strategic focus an organization with one or more technical areas typically through Technical Staff Leaders to lead and achieve unit objectives and meet Laboratory, Department of Energy (DOE), and customer/sponsor requirements.
- Requires knowledge of leadership, management, and organizational development principles and methods applied to the direction of a broad organization.
- Demonstrated experience implementing plans that promote and value inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability principles in the workplace.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced ability to delegate effectively and to lead, motivate, and build complex interdisciplinary teams.
- Familiarity with the national and international High-Performance Computing (HPC) community.
- Familiarity with LLNL, the Strategic Deterrence program, the Global Security program, and other NNSA laboratories.
- Familiarity with the WSC/CP program and extensive knowledge of weapons physics.
- Experience sustaining productive relationships with other divisions, directorates, laboratories, NNSA management, other institutions across the DOE and DoD enterprise, and external advisors and reviewers.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now