Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/25/2023
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$113,730 - $146,076 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity
We’re looking for a Metrology Engineer that will be matrixed to support the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, under the auspices of the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Associate Directorate (PAD). You will be responsible for maintaining processes and guiding staff to ensure the WTE Program meets all applicable requirements associated with NAP 401.1A (NNSA Weapon Quality Policy) relating to Weapon Measurement & Test Equipment (WM&TE). You will interface with Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) / Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) personnel and senior management staff to ensure requirements are met and applied consistently across the program. This will include representing the WTE WM&TE program internally and externally at reviews and audits conducted by external agencies. This position is in the Office of Laboratory Oversight – Mission Assurance (MA) department within the Director’s Office.
- Provide support within the WTE Weapon Measurement & Test Equipment Program, by contributing to all aspects of the WM&TE operations to include coordination with the metrology initiative of the Institutional Contractor Standards Laboratory (CSL) program, Livermore Field Office (LFO), and NNSA/HQ.
- Provide technical knowledge to address WM&TE challenges such as Uncertainty Analysis (UA), functional verifications, and calibration coversheet certificates to address gaps between calibration vendors and contractual requirements.
- Partner with the WTE Quality Assurance Manager on WM&TE effectiveness reviews and internal self-assessments to ensure WM&TE requirements are being met in preparation for external audits; contributing to corrective action plans in an effort to mitigate gaps.
- Develop effective working rapport and interface as needed with the NNSA’s Primary Standards Laboratory (PSL), an external agency with auditing oversight for WTE WM&TE and LLNL’s general operations metrology program(s).
- Ensure the METRO calibration database is updated on a frequent basis with the most current status of the metrology assets and related documentation.
- Support the development, maintenance, and provision of quarterly metrics to the Institutional CSL manager and WTE QA manager, associated with in-calibration and out-of-calibration assets of the WTE WM&TE Metrology Program.
- Ensure inactive and/or out-of-calibration assets are tagged out-of-service until an “As-Found” condition recalibration has been performed, or destruction has been realized and the WM&TE database reflects current status.
- Interface across LLNL with program personnel and/or facility managers, technical contacts, and scientists to leverage technical and quality interactions outside of the work unit and at times external to LLNL.
- Present technical approaches, project plans, and documentation to peers and program managers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related technical area, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Practical experience in the application of Uncertainty Analysis (UA), functional verification, and error budgeting, with a proven applicability for new and existing processes and equipment.
- Experience assessing internal calibration programs, traceability conformance, uncertainty of measurement including test uncertainty ratios (TUR) to determine adequacy of calibration.
- Experience reviewing and validating WM&TE equipment suitability, instructions, range and accuracy analysis.
- Comprehensive knowledge of metrology principles and technologies as well as their application.
- Comprehensive engineering knowledge associated with inspection operations and experience interpreting specifications and mechanical and electrical drawings.
- Practical experience with an understanding and/or application related to one or more of the following: National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), ISO/IEC 17025, and ANSI/ASME standards and their application related to WM&TE.
- Experience working independently with limited direction; exercising sound judgment to solve moderately complex problems in a multi-tasked environment.
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a team with effective organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with mechanical inspection, technical measuring devices and calibration of WM&TE assets.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment to present and explain technical information.
- Experience effectively working in small, multi-disciplinary teams with experience interacting and collaborating with all levels of technical staff, managers, vendors, and external contacts.
- Experience with computers, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and database management (used to manage WM&TE assets and related documents).
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience developing relationships and building long-term collaborations with internal members of the team and/or external sponsors.
- Broad knowledge of LLNL programmatic needs and applications. knowledge of WCI work scope and/or programmatic elements.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.