ROTC Graduate Computer Professional Student Intern - Summer 2024
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/23/2023
Job Code: 705.3 Grad Student Computer Prof
Organization: Human Resource Management
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: Either no clearance, DOE L or Q clearance depending on assignment. Clearances require U.S. citizenship and a background investigation. Uncleared positions over 179 days may require an investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
All applicants must be a Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) affiliate to qualify.
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? As a ROTC recent graduate in Computer Science, come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Please note that the pay is determined by California’s Computer Professional Exemption.
We have multiple openings for Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) graduate level computer science students that are newly commissioned officers, the opportunity to strengthen the relationship with the United States military and enhance the tie between the Department of Defense (DOD), Department of Energy-Defense Programs (DOE-DP), and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL).
ROTC interns, with a computer science major work on computer systems analysis; programming; and software engineering. Work is intellectual or creative requiring discretion and independent judgment; the individual is highly skilled and proficient in application of highly specialized information. They will work on projects in LLNL programs focusing on national security issues such as: fusion ignition and laser technology research at the National Ignition Facility, advanced manufacturing and materials technologies in support of our stockpile stewardship program, high-performance computing to enable scientific discovery and Laboratory missions, non-proliferation and arms control, and intelligence assessment. Specific projects will be determined following discussions with selected students and supervising researchers.
Interested individuals are to include their military branch of service, rank and clearance level (if any) when applying for this internship.
In this role you will
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to scientist in scientific research and development projects. Will use more advanced techniques.
- Conduct research in assigned area under limited direction and supervision.
- Assist in conducting and documenting experiments.
- Collect and analyze data.
- Document and present results.
- Attend ROTC Program lectures and assigned workshops.
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Perform all duties as assigned.
- Active ROTC member to an academic institution.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or a newly commissioned officer in physics, engineering, computer science, political science, biology or a related field.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in physics, engineering, computer science or a related field.
- Experience applying basic skills in engineering, scientific, or physics principles to solve technical problems.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Knowledge of computer science programs/software preferred.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the particular assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship.
If no security clearance is required, but your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.