Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/20/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$127,680 - $196,788 Annually
$127,680 - $163,968 Annually for the SES.2 level
$153,210 - $196,788 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for an Electrical Engineer to help with development, integration, testing, and fielding of electrical and optical diagnostic systems for a wide range of research programs aiding in the national security of the country. You will be technically responsible for carrying out a range of duties including design of analog and digital electrical circuit, simulation, integrating components and/or subsystems and programming of these subsystems. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop conceptual designs of moderately complex to complex electrical systems, test prototypes, and associated diagnostics.
- Develop, design, integrate and test cross-timing systems for various moderately complex to complex experiments.
- Perform circuit simulations to verify system performance and functionality.
- Contribute to the detailed design process, oversee fabrication, and unit assembly of electrical systems.
- Generate and review electrical system documentation (schematics, cable diagrams, wiring diagrams, timing diagrams, simulation/analysis results, safety plans, test plans and results).
- Participate in the production of system specifications, design documentation, simulated system performance, test plans, tested hardware and software, and participate in design reviews.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Participate in engineering testing operations, analyze results, and write reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Set specific technical strategy and may monitor or direct activities as task lead.
- Establish project objectives and timelines.
- Apply advanced technical theories, concepts, and techniques to develop novel solutions to critical mission needs.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field or the equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)/Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and grounding and shielding of electrical systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundamental electrical engineering concepts related to assembly, calibration, and testing of analog and digital electrical systems.
- Experience with SPICE or similar circuit simulation software.
- Experience with microcontrollers, FPGA hardware, and associated software and simulation tools.
- Experience in technical computing (e.g., simulation development, signal and image processing) using platforms such as MATLAB or Python.
- Ability to learn unique design requirements for electrical systems that involve both high voltage and high explosives.
- Proficient communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members. Ability to effectively work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge in the domains of Instrumentations, Microwave RF or related fields.
- Significant experience developing and integrating electrical engineering solutions.
- Experience leading independent work, including established objectives and timelines.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Knowledge of LABVIEW for hardware control and instrumentation applications.
- Knowledge of design applications for high voltage systems and/or experiments requiring nanosecond-level timing.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.