Design Physics Division Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 10/17/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Strategic Deterrence
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
$107,820 - $121,680 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Postdoctoral Researchers in the Design Physics Division. We invite PhD graduates from a variety of STEM fields to apply for one of our Postdoctoral Research Appointments. This opportunity is intended for individuals who have finished their PhD and wish to further develop their skills, knowledge, and/or abilities. These positions are in the Design Physics Division within the Strategic Deterrence Directorate.
Our postdoc positions are atypical — we select highly qualified candidates based on demonstrated research aptitude and then customize the project assignment to fit their abilities and interests as well as our needs. Recent projects have involved:
- Physics of Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF)
- Turbulence and fluid instabilities
- Atomistic and continuum models of transport
- Planetary defense (asteroid deflection and impact modeling)
- Diagnostic development
- Computational solid and fluid dynamics
- Chemical physics
- Nuclear physics
- Particle and radiation transport algorithm development
- Artificial intelligence and uncertainty quantification
- Conduct research in a topical area using theory, experiment, and/or simulation tools.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Develop new tools, algorithms, and/or design new experiments to further our scientific understanding.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals, and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Support plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within the program.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD degree in a relevant Science Technology Engineering Mathematics (STEM) or related discipline.
- Research experience which demonstrates both detailed understanding and a broad perspective in one or more of the following: experimental science, numerical modeling, or the application of theoretical methods.
- Demonstrated ability/commitment to valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in the workplace.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a multidisciplinary team-research environment.
- Aptitude for developing innovative solutions to scientific problems in applied research.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to present and explain technical information.
- Ability to travel to attend conferences and meetings, subject to negotiation.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now