Defense Science and Technology Internship - Computer Summer Student
Students | livermore, CA | 10/17/2023
Job Code: 705.3 Grad Student Computer Prof
Organization: Strategic Deterrence
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Please note that the pay is determined by California’s Computer Professional Exemption.
We have multiple openings for graduate level students and for students who have received a bachelor’s or master’s degree to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. You will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of numerical methods, machine learning, computational physics, or other related fields. These positions are within the Strategic Deterrence Directorate.
- Provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of numerical methods, machine learning, computational physics, or other related fields, working with scientists, engineers, and technical staff members.
- Support documentation, testing, creation or modification of Laboratory software, hardware, or Computer operating systems.
- Conduct research in assigned area under limited direction and supervision.
- Perform technical assignments of basic degree of complexity and provide technical support to scientists in scientific research and development projects.
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or has completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree in Physics, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or a related field.
- Experience applying advanced principles of physics, engineering and/or computer science to solve technical problems.
- Ability to conduct research and present and communicate concepts and ideas including research project(s), document work and give a technical talk/presentation.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Academic achievement in engineering, scientific and/or technical curriculum.
- Experience working with computers and familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Qualifications We Desire
- Coding experience (e.g., Python, C++).
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
Application Deadline January 16, 2024
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, this position involves U.S. Export Control; this work must be performed by a U.S. person (U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident, U.S. national, or U.S. protected individual (e.g., refugee, asylee)).
If your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now