Sidney Fernbach Postdoctoral Fellow
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 10/16/2023
Job Code: PDS.4 Lawrence Fellow Post Doc
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$ 11,990 Monthly for the PDS.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We are looking for a Sidney Fernbach Postdoctoral Fellowship candidate in the Computing Sciences. This fellowship is a prestigious postdoctoral position that will be awarded to one candidate with exceptional talent, scientific track record, and potential for significant achievements in computational mathematics, scientific computing, computer science, and/or data science. Details of the fellowship may be found at https://computing.llnl.gov/fernbach. You will have the freedom to pursue your own original research in one or more aspects of computing sciences. You will work in a cutting-edge, interdisciplinary research environment with accomplished researchers with access to Livermore Computing’s world-class HPC environment. Position will be closed to applicants after November 17, 2023.
In this role you will
- Conduct original and independent research in the computing sciences.
- Report research results in LLNL seminars and in the major scientific conferences.
- Publish research results in refereed journals.
- Interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, Computational Mathematics, Computer Science, Data Science, or related computational science and engineering disciplines.
- Demonstrated creativity, exceptional ability, and superior knowledge in the computing sciences.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct original and independent research through a proven track record of scientific accomplishment.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to interact with a multidisciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports and papers, and deliver technical presentations.
- Experience writing reports, publications and proposals.
- Demonstrated potential for technical leadership.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.