HPC Software Developer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 10/12/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
A hybrid schedule may be considered and is subject to change and determined by the needs of the project. You may be asked to be onsite more frequently in some circumstances.
$123,960 - $166,992 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a HPC Software Developer to support a variety of software development assignments. You will work in an environment that focuses on problems of interest to LLNL and Department of Energy (DOE) programs as a member of a dynamic, multidisciplinary team environment. You will apply fundamental knowledge of HPC software development and contribute to technical projects using creativity and imagination. This position will be in support of the Weapon Simulation and Computing (WSC) Computational Physics Program. The position will be in the ASQ division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Employ moderately complex software engineering methods using industry standard software development practices and modern programming languages and operating systems.
- Develop a range of applications including scientific, graphical user interface, database, and visualization applications.
- Participate in the requirements definition, analysis, design, implementation, debugging, testing, and optimization of computer programs on HPC platforms.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of user documentation.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives functioning as an effective team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Engage other developers and stakeholders frequently to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain software systems using object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders, ensuring deadlines are met, while leveraging team member’s skills.
- Provide solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis of tangible and intangible factors.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming with high-level languages such as C++ and interpreted languages such as Python.
- Broad experience developing software with either Python or C++ within Linux and/or Windows environments.
- Experience with source code control systems, such as Subversion or Git.
- Experience developing HPC software including distributed memory computing with MPI.
- Experience providing innovative approaches and applying new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Experience approaching difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity.
- Proficient interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a technical team environment to present, explain and provide advice to management.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience designing, implementing, deploying, and maintaining software systems using object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Advanced ability to work effectively with minimal guidance and provide innovative approaches and apply new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects with effective analytical and problem-solving skills for complex problems.
- Advanced interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a technical team environment to present, explain and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with OpenMP, parallel programming, GPU programming, containers, continuous integration
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now