Atmospheric Remote Sensing-Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/06/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are excited to offer an opportunity for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in atmospheric observations for a variety of applications in one of the following areas: satellite measurements, radar meteorology, satellite retrieval algorithms. Research projects require diverse skills in atmospheric remote sensing, which often requires development of atmospheric simulation codes for improved performance. Familiarity with remote sensing small-scale phenomena like turbulence and cloud microphysics is desired. You will work with a multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, programmers, and project managers to analyze satellite data, apply new modeling capabilities, and validate atmospheric simulations.
This position is in the Atmospheric, Earth & Energy Division, Atmospheric Science Research and Applications Group.
In this role you will
- Conduct creative research in the field of atmospheric remote sensing.
- Develop, validate, and apply algorithms to retrieve atmospheric or weather dynamics.
- Analyze model and observational datasets relevant to climate and weather.
- Document research by publishing papers in peer-reviewed journals and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in atmospheric science, mechanical, civil or environmental engineering, computational science, or a closely related field.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: atmospheric science, atmospheric remote sensing, stratospheric turbulence, cloud microphysics, atmospheric gravity waves, atmospheric chemistry, aerosol science, or satellite data analysis.
- Familiarity with programming languages such as Fortran, Python, or MATLAB.
- Experience with high performance computing or interest in learning this skill.
- Experience conducting research in atmospheric science, engineering, or a closely related field.
- Travel as required to collaborate with researchers or attend meetings and conferences.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, as evidenced by published results and presentations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience developing retrieval algorithms.
- Familiarity with atmospheric science including theory, observations, modeling.
- Familiarity with uncertainty quantification, ensembles, and statistical analysis.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now