X-ray Science - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 10/04/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral researcher in the field of X-ray Optics. You will apply your expertise to work on the research and development of cutting-edge multilayer coatings and optics, novel experimental methods to determine material optical constants, synchrotron and light source experiments, and other technically challenging problems. You will travel as necessary to interact with sponsors and customers; opportunities exist for collaborations with some Space, Global Security and High Energy Density Sciences Programs. This position is in the X ray Science Group in the Physics Division.
- Design, fabricate, and characterize state-of-the-art multilayer coatings for application in the EUV to hard X-rays.
- Design and field unique optics for complex experimental campaigns in areas relevant to Science and National Security, including Space, light sources, HED diagnostics and Safeguards.
- Advance the state-of-the-art in ultrashort period x-ray multilayer coatings.
- Prepare written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results.
- Maintain an awareness of technical literature in assigned areas.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Optics, Physics, material sciences or a related field.
- Experience in optics and multilayer interference coatings (design, fabrication, characterization, and materials processes).
- Experience modeling optical performance of thin films.
- Familiarity with X-ray optics and optical systems
- Ability to work independently on technical tasks, influence technical objectives, to provide in depth analysis, and develop unique technical solutions.
- Experience working on a research team with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds, as well as function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to detail.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical reports and publications, and deliver scientific presentations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience conducting experiments at light source and synchrotron beamlines.
- Experience with ultrashort period x-ray multilayer coatings
- Experience with quantitative studies of interface physics of nanoscale-thickness films (x-ray diffraction, x-ray reflectance, TEM imaging analysis, modeling of interfacial layers)
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.