Construction Specification Writer
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 09/27/2023
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE L clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
- $136,500 - $175,272 Annually for the TSS.3 level
- $163,740 - $210,288 Annually for the TSS.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Construction Specification Writer. You will be part of the Technical & Professional Services (TAP) team, which is responsible for technical support and quality assurance to the infrastructure project delivery teams in the Project Management Office (PMO) at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). The ideal candidate is an exceptionally organized, versatile professional with the experience necessary to take our products to the next level with respect to quality, security, and safety.
The Project Management Office (PMO) provides LLNL with engineering, design, estimating, construction, and project management services. The PMO provides infrastructure services to enable cutting-edge research and development in the areas of defense technologies, global security, laser science, bioscience, and more. PMO offers cradle to grave infrastructure services to achieve reliable delivery of completed projects with priority on safety, collaboration, and a workforce working toward our shared vision.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Develop and maintain LLNL facilities master construction specifications using RIB SpecLink Cloud; coordinate and align specifications with LLNL design and engineering standards, safety and security requirements, and project management policies, procedures, and guides; research appropriate products and materials, and validate product application and compliance with applicable codes, regulations, and standards.
- Initiate specification reviews with internal subject matter experts and stakeholders and revise specifications based on reviewer input; and perform configuration management for the master specifications.
- Work with the PMO Design and Engineering team on the development of project specifications, coordinated with the project drawings, program requirements, equipment procurement specifications, statements of work, design criteria, and provide support with performing research to obtain technical information as necessary for the specification development.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts and stakeholders to regularly review and update the existing set of LLNL facilities design and engineering standards (about 60 documents).
- Contribute to developing scopes of work, obtaining technical information, and providing information for procurement requisitions.
- Write and edit procedures, work instructions, guides, reports, guides, and other miscellaneous documents associated with the work of the PMO.
- Provide advice and assistance to the PMO team to guide the successful completion of projects using best practices.
- Provide quality review of construction documents prepared by structural, civil, architectural, electrical, mechanical, and other designers to ensure documents meet engineering standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the TSS.4 Level
- Provide leadership and mentor PMO staff on the importance, structure, content, and role of specifications in projects. Train PMO staff on technical writing, specifications writing, and use of specification software.
- Lead the development of new design and engineering standards.
- Use ingenuity and in-depth analysis to provide advanced and innovative solutions to a diverse range of highly complex project management problems and initiate solutions with minimal supervision.
- Lead and facilitate the development of new ideas and approaches that impact organizational operations.
- Serve as TAP representative and act as the prime consultant on significant projects.
- Ability to secure and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires US Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, or relevant functional discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in technical editing and production of construction specifications and significant experience using editing and writing techniques for a variety of media, including comprehensive knowledge of technical language, usage, and style conventions.
- Advanced knowledge of construction documents, industry codes, regulations, and standards; knowledge of and experience conducting research on construction materials, systems, and methods; knowledge of fundamental legal principles associated contract documents; and the ability to interpret construction drawings.
- Experience with quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC) as it relates to the preparation of construction documents and the execution of construction work.
- Demonstrated participation in the preparation of contract documents for the following: new buildings and renovations of existing buildings, office tenant improvements, office buildings, site improvements, and landscape architecture.
- Ability to perform independent technical work using independent judgement and latitude to determine methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Significant experience with and proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, RIB SpecLink Cloud, and BlueBeam Revu.
- Advanced problem-solving skills necessary to identify the strengths and weaknesses and provide alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems, and effectively communicate solutions to others.
In Addition at the TSS.4 Level
- Expert knowledge of complex construction documents and significant experience editing construction specifications following Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) practices and using expert knowledge of editing/writing techniques, including technical language, usage, and style conventions.
- Ability to use independent judgment and considerable latitude to establish and accomplish objectives.
- Expert written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and advise senior management and stakeholders.
- Construction Documents Technologist (CDT) certification through CSI.
- Certified Construction Specifier (CCS) through CSI.
- California licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or Licensed Architect.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.