National Security Engineering Division Undergraduate Student Intern - Summer 2024
Engineering | livermore, CA | 09/26/2023
Job Code: 705.1 Under Grad Student / 714.0 Intern Nonexempt
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$21.40 - $29.00 Hourly
This position is under a step structure. Please note that the step placement is determined by your most recent completed academic year.
The National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate has multiple openings for continuing undergraduate students in the engineering, physics, and computer science fields. Successful candidates will gain practical research experience to further educational goals, while providing technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computational engineering, nuclear and chemical engineering, or other related fields. NSED provides engineering solutions to the challenges facing our nation in national defense, homeland security, energy and environment, and fundamental physics.
In this role, you will
- Perform technical and/or research assignments in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computational engineering, nuclear and chemical engineering, or other related fields, working directly with engineers, scientists and technical mentors.
- Participate in research in assigned area, under close supervision.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Utilize standard software packages common in your discipline to complete common tasks.
- Attend relevant seminars and facility tours.
- Ability to conduct research and present and communicate concepts and ideas including research project(s), document and present work results through technical presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Present and communicate results to research group.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a college or university student in good academic standing enrolled in an accredited institution pursuing an associates or bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics, computer science or a related field.
- A sustained record of outstanding academic performance.
- Ability to work full time for ten to twelve weeks during your internship.
- Ability to apply basic engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Communication skills necessary to communicate research project(s), document work and give a technical talk/presentation.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience working with computers and familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Technical project experience.
- Familiarity with tools associated to your field of study.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.