Target Fabrication Process Engineer
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 09/18/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term or Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Either no clearance, DOE L or Q clearance depending on assignment. Clearances require U.S. citizenship and a background investigation. Uncleared positions over 179 days may require an investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960.00- $159,168 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650.00 - $190,932 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have openings for a Target Fabrication Process Engineers who will become core members of an interdisciplinary team working on fabrication of complex articles called targets in support of the Inertial Fusion Confinement and other national security programs. Targets are intricate assemblies of numerous finely manufactured components and are comprised of the essential elements of experiments on these high energy laser systems. Consequently, they raise many interesting challenges whose resolution requires a combination of materials & mechanical engineering and metrology science with a strong sense of practical implementation of advanced new processes. You will be responsible for commissioning new target fabrication process as well as maintaining existing processes with a goal of improving target yield and quality. This position is in the NIF Target Materials group of the Materials Science Division.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Analyze moderately complex to complex data from target fabrication with the goal of improving the process and process yields.
- Direct technicians to design, build or modify specialized process equipment.
- Define and prepare operating procedures, train technicians, and maintain operational status of these production processes and laboratory safety standards.
- Define and create necessary quality control and quality assurance charts and metrics.
- Troubleshoot faulty target fabrication equipment that is not delivering product to spec.
- Prepare written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Serve as a key team member in operation of the target fabrication facilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Provide technical solutions to complex problems which may not be well defined, lead projects under minimal direction, and independently resolve technical objectives and criteria to satisfy project objectives and execute the appropriate technical approaches.
- Collaborate with technical area leaders, project leaders, and program management to represent technical capabilities and project results to internal management and external sponsors
- This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the location of the assignment. If selected for position with no security clearance this work must be performed by a U.S. person (U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident, U.S. national, or U.S. protected individual (e.g., refugee, asylee) this position involves U.S. Export Control; Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
- BS in Chemical Engineering, Material Science/Engineering, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience in pilot-plant-scale operations and process development.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate effectively with technical support personnel on requirements, design, safety, construction or modification of process or pilot-scale equipment or systems.
- Experience operating PC and/or Macintosh computers to collect, analyze, and document scientific results.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to work in a collaborative research environment and interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, technicians and other technical and administrative staff.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Material Science/Engineering, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience applying engineering principles to achieve process development and process improvement goals.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience developing, specifying, and commissioning process controls and automation for processes.
- Ability to leverage systems engineering best practices to guide design and risk mitigation, including determination and documentation of technical objectives, Concept of Operations (ConOps), requirements, interfaces, and risk mitigation plans which require in-depth analysis of multiple factors.
- Experience in software programs such as Python, Matlab, Labview, etc.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite or At Will appointment. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the particular assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship.
If no security clearance is required, but your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.