CGSR Student Administrative Intern - Winter 2023
Administrative | livermore, CA | 09/18/2023
Job Code: 705.1 Under Grad Student
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$21.40 to $29.00 per hour. Hourly rate is based on academic level. Must provide transcripts.
The Center for Global Security Research (CGSR) was established at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) in 1996 to bring together experts from the science, technology, and policy communities to address pressing national security challenges. The Center accomplishes its work by convening lectures with outside speakers; hosting and organizing two-day workshops; maintaining a seasoned staff of fellows, postdocs, and research associates; publishing analytic papers to support U.S. policymakers in developing strategies for national security; and providing briefings to officials in the U.S. government, allied governments, and international organizations. CGSR’s diverse efforts to accomplish its mission requires ongoing administrative support.
We have an opening for a Student Administrative Intern to work alongside CGSR’s administrative team to help CGSR accomplish its goals. The intern should be an undergraduate-level student desiring to obtain practical business and administrative experience to further their educational and career goals. Under guidance from CGSR’s administrative team, the student intern will provide entry- to mid-level administrative support for the daily operations and activities at the Center.
- This position will work alongside the CGSR Administrator to support CGSR activities.
- Assist administrative staff with various projects and activities, including event planning, travel requests, data entry, among other administrative duties.
- With guidance, compose correspondence for staff, as well as prepare, type, edit, format, and finalize presentation materials.
- Establish and maintain work files.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in business or a related field.
- Effective organizational skills, attention to detail, accuracy and follow-through.
- Experience working under limited supervision, in an environment of rapidly changing priorities, deadlines, and frequent interruptions.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse workforce and represent the organization with all levels of management, internal and external to the Laboratory, using tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills necessary to identify and make recommendations for administrative problems.
- Experience working with computers and familiarity with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Able to type a minimum of 40 words per minute.
- GPA of 3.5 or above
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, this position involves U.S. Export Control; this work must be performed by a U.S. person (U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident, U.S. national, or U.S. protected individual (e.g., refugee, asylee)).
If your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now