Materials Characterization Center Manager
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 09/18/2023
Job Code: SEL.3 Science & Engineering TSL 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650.00- $190,932.00 Annually for the SES.3 level
We have an opening for a Materials Characterization Center Lab Manager to manage a suite of materials characterization laboratories in the MSD Materials Characterization Center (MCC). You will manage the work of a team of scientists and technical staff and will be the technical lead for ensuring that quality work is provided to customers. Work in the MCC includes x-ray diffraction, metallography, microscopy, sample preparation, focused-ion beam, scanning electron microscopy, and transmission electron microscopy; work involves a wide range of materials, including radioactive materials. Services are provided to customers throughout LLNL, and users are also trained to work in the laboratories. You will be responsible for overseeing all day-to-day operations of the MCC. This position is in the Materials Science Division (MSD).
- Partner with MCC customers to determine their needs and direct work to the appropriate laboratories and personnel.
- Serve as the division’s technical and laboratory contact for materials characterization, including improving efficiency of long-running projects, working with customers to determine their needs, and maintaining/upgrading equipment and facilities in the center.
- Accountable for the technical excellence of the work completed in the MCC, including enabling infrastructure and workflow improvements that ensure high quality results, developing a culture of staff accountability, systematic training of personnel, maintenance and calibration of equipment, and laboratory efficiency.
- Determine work assignments and set work priorities, as well as ensuring that all jobs and samples are tracked, as well as progress and results are communicated to customers in a timely fashion
- Create a systematic on-going training program for staff and new users that ensure high proficiency in both routine and unique work, as well as professional growth and technical capability.
- Oversee ES&H protocols in the laboratories.
- Actively seek new customers for the MCC, and obtain their feedback when work is complete.
- Serve as the primary technical contact for the MCC and market the capabilities at LLNL.
- Assess needs for additional procurements and upgrades, champion and implement improvements, and maintain and improve internal and external recognition of the MSD characterization capabilities.
- Develop and implement efficient, modern practices for sample tracking and data reporting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- B.A/B.S. in Materials Science or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience managing a service laboratory, including both technical and personnel oversight.
- Significant hands-on experience with materials characterization techniques such as microscopy, electron microscopy, FIB, x-ray diffraction.
- Significant hands-on experience with metallurgical preparation of a wide range of materials (especially metals).
- Experience managing project budgets and schedules.
- Ability to build and lead a team.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate, explain and present complex technical ideas, as well as provide and influence employees and all levels of management.
- Advanced organizational, decision-making, managerial, and leadership skills; ability to effectively work on multiple tasks and deliver on time.
Qualifications We Desire
- MS in Materials Science or a related field.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.