Business Development Executive
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 09/15/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$127,680 $163,968 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Business Development Executive with a key focus on business intelligence and market analysis. You will promote the innovation ecosystem at LLNL through a number of activities. You will participate in the generation of business and market intelligence reports using several research platforms. You will actively promote novel discoveries and capabilities at the lab on electronic media and at events. You will be a team member for entrepreneurial events and manage the Lab technology maturation efforts. This position is in the Innovation and Partnerships Office (IPO) within the Deputy Director’s Office, Science and Technology.
- Support the collection of data and generation of business intelligence reports for IPO to make better IP investment and operational decisions in commercialization of LLNL assets.
- Conduct technical and market research and competitive intelligence research in the development of technology portfolios, marketing, licensing strategies as well as help identify industry partners aligned with LLNL innovations.
- Write, edit and design informational materials related to LLNL technology, capability and intellectual assets that are ready for licensing or external industrial partnership and post to marketing outreach platforms.
- Promote IPO activities, LLNL commercialization success stories and LLNL innovators through recognition programs, award nominations and dissemination of information to a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Participate in the development and execution of lab sponsored and externally funded entrepreneurial training and experiential programs.
- Collaborate with other Business Development Executives to assess technology portfolios and collaborate on the development of partnering/licensing strategies for the highest priority cases.
- Optimize workflows and develop written policies and procedures to improve IPO’s processes.
- Contribute to the analysis of licensees and research partners, in coordination with IPO’s Intellectual Property and Agreements Management Group
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in science, business or technical writing or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience developing and managing research and/or business relationships with the private sector as part of a university, national laboratory or other research entities technology transfer office.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly explain complicated technical information in both written and presentation formats.
- Experience in market research, competitive intelligence or science/technical due diligence
- Comprehensive knowledge of current trends and business practices as they relate to technology transfer and commercialization.
- Understanding of patenting and copyrighting rules and processes
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Experience managing multiple, integrated projects and leading business transformation activities using project management methodologies, practices, techniques, and tools.
- Advanced degree in a scientific or engineering field
- Business experience in one or more industry sectors
- Experience developing standard operating protocols for internal processes
- Ability to work in a team environment
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now