Foreign Travel Specialist
Administrative | livermore, CA | 09/14/2023
Job Code: A08.2 Travel Specialist 2
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$85,800 - $106.536 Annually
We have an opening for a Travel Specialist who will work directly with the Foreign Travel Team Leader and the Business Services Travel Manager to implement Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory’s (LLNL’s) foreign travel approval process and review/approve other special types of travel such as Extended Travel and Invited Lecturers/Discussants. You will serve as a liaison between LLNL and the Department of Energy/National Nuclear Security Association (DOE/NNSA) regarding all foreign travel regulations. This position is in the Asset Management Department within the Business Directorate.
Telecommuting options are available for this position.
- Serve as lab-wide resource and liaison on foreign travel policy and procedures to internal customers, Directorate contacts, designated travel agency and DOE/Head Quarters (DOE/HQ).
- Ensure that the complete, timely and accurate processing of foreign travel approvals and other approval documents are consistent with LLNL and DOE policies and procedures.
- Serve as point of contact for foreign travel customer service issues and problems and independently research, resolve or escalate the foreign travel issues when necessary, resulting in high customer satisfaction. Provide guidance to customers concerning foreign travel policy interpretation.
- Collaborate with travel accounting on foreign travel reimbursements to ensure consistency with LLNL policies and procedures and with Foreign Travel team and LLNL IT developers to maintain and enhance LLNL Foreign Travel Services (FTS) and train users on all travel-related systems as required.
- Attend and contribute to regular Foreign Travel meetings with the directorate representatives for foreign travel and represent LLNL in regular telephone conference calls with DOE complex laboratories and DOE/HQ in discussions pertaining to all aspects of foreign travel.
- Assist in maintaining relationships with other internal LLNL stakeholders with interests in foreign travel activities such as Counterintelligence, Export Control, Risk Management and Health Services.
- Assist in implementing and training employees on new or amended foreign travel programs, regulations and procedures and maintain and update foreign travel desk guides, website, and training documents. Implement quality control and self-assessment reviews of foreign travel requests.
- Prepare and provide ad hoc activity and summary reports using Microsoft Excel and other data sources to request organizations such as Risk Management and the Laboratory Emergency Duty Officer (LEDO).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, or equivalent combination of education and related experience; may have professional travel certification.
- Experience making foreign or domestic travel policy decisions and providing guidance to travelers in accordance with organizational policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Experience developing and delivering training material to diverse audience of users.
- Experience coordinating multiple work activities and multi-faceted internal processes for an operation/customer service area and experience leading administrative projects.
- Verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills including the ability use tact, diplomacy, and discretion when dealing with customers, personnel, or management.
- Ability to effectively work with internal and external customers, and to effectively work across organizational lines on multiple assignments that vary in priorities and complexity, often with time constraints.
- Advanced computer and database skills including word processing, presentation software, and database programs (e.g., Microsoft Suite) necessary to provide ad hoc reports and other data requests.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Problem solving and analytical skills to independently solve issues.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of DOE Foreign Travel Order and LLNL Travel Policy.
- Knowledge of the LLNL (FTS) and DOE Foreign Travel Management System (FTMS).
- Knowledge of special disbursements, conference management, and Cliqbook/Concur, LLNL online travel booking tool.
- Experience performing quality assurance and self-assessment audits on foreign or domestic travel requests.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years. If final candidate is a Career Indefinite employee, Career Indefinite status may be maintained (should funding allow).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, this position involves U.S. Export Control; this work must be performed by a U.S. person (U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident, U.S. national, or U.S. protected individual (e.g., refugee, asylee)).
If your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.