Deputy Program Director for Campus Infrastructure Capabilities
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 09/14/2023
Job Code: TSM.2 Technical Manager 2
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$278,910 - $359,964 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Deputy Director for Campus Infrastructure Capabilities. The Office of Laboratory Infrastructure (OLI) organization supports the Laboratory’s long- range facilities and infrastructure development. You will be responsible for leading synthesis and maintenance of the Laboratory’s 30-year Site Development Plan (SDP) representing campus configuration and development of infrastructure capabilities to support laboratory mission delivery. As a leader for realization of campus infrastructure capabilities you will work closely with Directorate and Senior Management Team Leadership (SMT) to develop the enterprise indirect multiyear infrastructure investment portfolio.
You will also support within the Directors Office (DO) planning and delivery of infrastructure capabilities supporting the Global Security mission as well as Engineering and Scientific enterprises. In addition, you will collaborate with the Laboratory transformation Officer and lead Integrated Project Teams (IPT) to implement Laboratory future workplace vision.
This position requires frequent interaction LLNL Principal Directorate (PD) / Associate Directorate (AD) management, the Livermore Field Office, and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Headquarters. This position is in the OLI and will report to the OLI Director.
- Drive Laboratory Enterprise focus for the synthesis of 30-year Site Development Plan (SDP) comprising all critical Laboratory capabilities. Ensure overall integration of LLNL’s $3B capital Infrastructure investment plan to the SDP working in an inclusive and collaborative manner with all major programs and institutional organizations.
- Oversee and manage the planning and execution of the Laboratory’ site-wide indirect infrastructure investment budget by engaging Laboratory deputy PD/AD managers for ST&E disciplines, mission support, and program areas in collaborative decision making and ensuring on-budget fiscal year end close of $55M annual project portfolio. Work closely with the Operations Community of Practice (OCOP) Principal Deputies Committee (PDC) and Senior Management Team Business Council (SMTBC) on the 5-year Laboratory plan (FYLP) for infrastructure investment.
- Work closely with OLI Director and ST&E organizations on proposals for formation of an Infrastructure Center for Advanced Studies.
- Serve as principal DO interface to support GS and Signature Engineering and Scientific Infrastructure realization working closely with GS, FIE and Signature Engineering and Scientific Infrastructure program leaders.
- Lead continued design maturation of STAR-based catalog of office, lab, and data centers.
- Collaborate with Laboratory Transformation Officer to plan and deliver Laboratory’s future workplace vision.
- Lead realization of special focus laboratory/ program development zones including Livermore Open Campus, Project Horizon, and Site 400.
- Lead one or more infrastructure Integrated ProIPT’s comprising of highly skilled staff matrixed from across Laboratory delivery partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or engineering discipline or related field or an equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Licensed Professional Engineer or Project Management Professional.
- Recent Working knowledge of DOE Order 413.3B, as well as NNSA acquisition streamlining and other EMDI initiatives; knowledge of NNSA Capital Planning processes and Chapter 10 and 2.4 of the cost accounting guide relating to construction projects.
- Significant experience working in the Laboratory and NNSA Enterprise scale in addition to one or more Laboratory major programs.
- Knowledge of management and structure, policies, and processes including demonstrated experience leading work groups and managing annual indirect budgets.
- Knowledge of real property asset management processes and requirements and experience implementing them across mission support functional areas and major programs.
- Significant experience conceptualizing and solving complex planning issues and technical problems to ensure long-term stewardship of infrastructure portfolios using creative, mature judgment to address mission drivers, business trends, and customer/sponsor requirements
- Expert communication, facilitation, presentation, and collaboration skills necessary to direct, negotiate, influence, motivate, and manage and to provide advice to senior management, reviewers, and stakeholders.
- Expert knowledge of DOE Order 430.1C and the Supplemental Directive Contract Requirements Document (CRD) regarding real property management and demonstrated experience with NNSA real property asset management processes.
- Significant field experience in field delivery of special facilities and equipment.
- Signification experience with advanced simulation and modeling methods including verification and validation.
Qualifications we desire
- Significant experience in NNSA strategic/program planning and processes.
- Significant experience working with laboratory functional delivery partners.
- Expert experience in project/process management, engineering design, cost estimation.
- Experience with evolving building code compliance.
- Knowledge of LLNL mission areas and of how real property infrastructure supports those mission areas.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now