Experimental Nuclear Science - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 09/13/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Experimental Nuclear Science Postdoctoral Researcher to play a leading role in charged-particle/gamma-ray coincidence experiments aimed at obtaining indirect neutron-capture constraints for isotopes crucial to our understanding of the formation of the solar system. For these efforts, you will use the newly available tritium beams at Florida State University’s John D. Fox Accelerator Laboratory coupled with charged-particle and gamma-ray detection. Your responsibilities include setting up and executing the (t,p) experiments, simulating the detector arrays, analyzing the resulting experimental data, and interpreting and publishing the neutron-capture reaction constraints in collaboration with nuclear theorists and astrophysicists. This position is in the Nuclear Physics and Accelerator Technologies Group of the Nuclear and Chemicals Sciences (NACS) Division.
- Conduct charged-particle/gamma-ray coincidence experiments at accelerator-based facilities.
- Develop data-analysis tools and techniques to interpret the experimental results.
- Perform simulations of the experimental setup to evaluate the detector response and efficiency.
- Work with nuclear theorists and astrophysicists to interpret analyzed experimental results.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Collaborate with scientists and engineers at LLNL, Florida State University, and other laboratories.
- Provide technical contributions to the development of future nuclear-physics experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, or related field.
- Experience with accelerator-based experiments and radiation counting using charged-particle and gamma-ray detectors.
- Experience working with indirect neutron-capture techniques, charged-particle reactions, or similar experiments and analysis.
- Programming experience in C++ and/or other programming languages.
- Experience performing analysis using ROOT or comparable analysis framework.
- Experience performing simulations with GEANT4.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature in physics or a related field.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.