Infrastructure DevOps Engineer (Linux System Administrator) - ACTIVE SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 09/11/2023
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$103,290 - $132,612 Annually for the SES.1 level
$123,960 - $159,168 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We're looking for a Infrastructure Development Operations (DevOps) Engineer to provide technical computer support for systems in a heterogeneous enterprise environment to solve a variety of moderately complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division in Computing, matrixed to the Global Security Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Assist with developing our Infrastructure as Code (IaC) solution to configure, update and patch our Linux cluster environments using technologies such as Ansible, cloud-init, Gitlab, Docker and OpenShift/Kubernetes.
- Collaborate with stake holders, software developers, data scientists, and the team to architect an IT infrastructure that meets requirements for 24x7 uptime, and efficient, frequent software delivery.
- Document and version control the IT infrastructure, using Git and Confluence; track/report work status in tickets using Gitlab.
- Maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety knowledge.
- Apply networking knowledge and experience to provide troubleshooting and operational support for clustered environments.
- Support and troubleshoot cluster storage technologies, such as NFS, VastData and cloud storage solutions such as S3 buckets, or Luster.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Document rack, node diagrams, and network topology using tools such as Visio, Excel and/or drawio.
- Design IaC code approaches for handling base/core Linux cluster services such as: PXE, DNS, DHCP, and server provisioning.
- Manage multiple Linux clusters, across multiple networks with varying security requirements.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with Linux fundamentals including TCP/IP networking and common infrastructure services (DNS, DHCP, SNMP, NTP, HTTP, LDAP, Kerberos, Radius, SMTP).
- Experience interacting with computer security personnel to provide input to computer security plans, ensuring computer security compliance, monitoring systems for general health, security incidents, and other events, and developing security configurations that meet cyber requirements.
- Experience performing Red Hat and Debian based Linux system administration in a moderately complex to complex server environment, including tasks such as installation, performance tuning, networking, security, troubleshooting, monitoring, backup/archiving, and hardware replacement.
- Experience with software development or system administration using scripting languages (e.g., Python, Bash, Perl, Ruby, Groovy, etc.).
- Comprehensive analytical skills to analyze moderately complex systems and networks.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and independently resolve complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Broad knowledge of and technical experience with Linux operating systems, virtual environments, and/or related hardware.
- Experience with security and configuration standards (CIS, STIGs, or equivalent).
- Broad experience as a technical lead on advanced projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure, on time and on budget.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience maintaining clusters environments using Infrastructure as Code (IaC) approaches.
- Experience with configuration management systems such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef or Salt.
- Experience with Virtual environments (Vagrant, KVM and/or VMware) and/or containerized environments (Docker or Openshift/Kubernetes).
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.