Materials Science Division Graduate Student - Fall 2023 Internship
Students | livermore, CA | 09/07/2023
Job Code: 712.0 Intern Exempt
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$6200.00- $7090.00 Monthly
Please note that the pay range is based on a step structure that aligns with your academic level.
We have multiple openings for students who have received a bachelor’s or master’s degree to engage in practical research experience to further their educational goals. You will conduct research in the following scientific fields: organic/inorganic synthesis, analytical, computational, materials characterization, actinide materials, optical materials science; electrochemistry; materials chemistry and physics; computational chemistry and materials science; nanoscale materials synthesis and characterization and metallurgy. This position is in the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Work with scientists on projects involving hands-on work in a laboratory, computational, or data analysis.
- Conduct research in solid micromechanics in materials under limited direction and supervision.
- Contribute to developing integrated modeling capabilities for simulating micromechanical responses and fracture initiation in materials.
- Design and perform systematic computer simulations on LLNL supercomputers for understanding the effects of mechanical conditions on materials behavior.
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and providing advanced technical support to scientist in scientific research and development projects.
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or has completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree in chemistry, materials sciences, computational chemistry, or a related field.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in chemistry, materials sciences, computational chemistry, or related field.
- Experience applying basic scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Broad knowledge of chemistry and materials.
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
Application Deadline: October 6, 2023
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now