Power Systems Engineer - Data Science Applications
Engineering | livermore, CA | 09/06/2023
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$106,440 - $136,680 Annually for the SES.1 level
$127,680 - $163,968 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We are looking for engineers and scientists with expertise in power engineering and machine learning to help us use data science to modernize the power grid. Your work will help us make the grid more secure against climate change, improve reliability, and reduce operational costs. You will have opportunities to work on exciting projects and develop new skills.
We are looking for expertise in power engineering (power systems modeling, simulation and analysis) combined with experience in machine learning and data science (anomaly detection and classification, pattern recognition, unsupervised and supervised learning techniques, deep reinforcement learning, time series data processing).
These positions will be filled at either the SES.1 or SES.2 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Participate in research in power grid modeling and simulation which creates and implement new state-of- the-art algorithms. Participate in research in applying data science to power system engineering applications, reporting to principal investigators and program management.
- Partner with scientists and engineers at LLNL, and external collaborators such as electric utilities and technology providers.
- Co-author peer-reviewed scientific papers, reports and deliver presentations for audiences internal and external to LLNL.
- Perform tasks as assigned to you on projects.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Engage directly with sponsors and partners and participate in development of new program business.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or relevant fields, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of and experience in the following areas: power system automation, operations, and planning, modeling and simulation, machine learning/artificial intelligence.
- Experience with standard programming languages to support data analytics, visualization, and algorithm development for machine learning/artificial intelligence.
- Ability to collaborate well in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and document .
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive and state-of-the-art knowledge and broad experience in the application and development in areas including: power systems engineering, power systems operation and planning, modeling and simulation, and machine learning/artificial intelligence.
- Ability to lead technical discussions, collaborate in diverse team environment, present and explain complex technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- 1+ years of experience working with utilities, Department of Energy (DOE), and/or other relevant state government agencies.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.