Engineering | livermore, CA | 09/06/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Pay Range $127,680- 196,788
$127,680- $163,968 annually for the SES.2 level
$153,210 - $196,788 annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Laser Scientist to participate in the research and development of laser systems for isotope separation. These systems require a range of lasers – solid state and other – with important challenges in bandwidth, wavefront, timing, and alignment control. The selected candidate will team with members of LLNL’s laser and separation teams to design, develop, and deploy lasers in support of a range of Department of Energy (DOE) and Department of Defense missions, including Atomic Vapor Laser Isotope Separation to support the DOE Isotope Program. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Plan and execute laboratory experiments with a primary emphasis on scaling the average power, pulse energy, and transport and delivery of Laser Isotope Separation laser and optical systems.
- Perform independent work on a team with LLNL scientists to design, build, and test diagnostic and control systems for lasers and sensors.
- Provide scientific and technical guidance in close coordination with an engineering team as required to construct a laser system that will support the production of useful quantities of enriched isotopes.
- Work within a dynamic team, including senior and junior scientists and engineers, to coordinate resources, plan experimental campaigns, document research, perform training, provide deliverables, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results at scientific conferences.
- Specify and procure specialty laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Adhere to strict laboratory safety requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 level
- Lead technical efforts and provide mentorship with responsibility for budgets, schedules, deliverables, and resource allocation.
- Define and prioritize tasks to ensure that programmatic objectives are met in a timely and efficient manner.
- Use advanced technical knowledge to contribute to the development of new program opportunities, including the definition and development of research proposals and interaction with potential sponsors and customers under minimal direction.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in Engineering, Physics, or a related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
- Comprehensive experience with optics, lasers, and laser science.
- Broad experience planning moderately complex to complex experimental campaigns.
- Ability to work under limited direction and meet deadlines.
- Proficient verbal and written communication, as well as interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a multi-disciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports, publications, papers, and presentations.
- Experience collaborating in an interdisciplinary team environment, authoring moderately complex to complex technical analyses, and present technical information to external sponsors and customers.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise management.
- Significant experience working independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team, and ability to lead advanced research and development activities, utilizing project management skills.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience with laser sources, with emphasis on high average-power pulsed lasers.
- Experience in engineering or physics laboratories, including data acquisition and control system development/utilization.
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art laser technologies such as solid-state fiber-based lasers
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.