Software Quality Assurance Manager
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/31/2023
Job Code: SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
A hybrid schedule is subject to change and determined by the needs of the project. You may be asked to be onsite more frequently in some circumstances.
$178,410 - $229,116 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Design Agency Software Quality Assurance (SQA) Manager to work alongside the Production Agency SQA Manager in leading the quality assurance activities of software used in the development, evaluation, and acceptance of weapon and weapon-related products. Working with a dynamic multi-disciplinary team of system engineers, production quality engineers, and software developers, your primary responsibilities will include implementing standards to consistently manage all phases of the software product lifecycle as well as establish processes that enable end-to-end traceability. All established processes and procedures must meet NNSA, Institutional, and Product Realization quality requirements. This position is in the Applications, Simulations, and Quality (ASQ) Division within the Computing Directorate, reporting programmatically to the Weapons Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program Director.
In this role you will
- Lead and support a diverse range of advanced and highly complex projects, partnering with NNSA Quality, LFO, WTE QA team, and Product Realization Teams, including senior management, to establish and/or implement SQA processes and procedures to address emerging and evolving software quality requirements associated with the LEP and Modernization efforts.
- Apply highly advanced domain, system and/or process knowledge under consultative direction to implement processes that facilitate management of all phases of the software development lifecycle, considering rigorous SQA standards associated with both nuclear-safety and weapon-related software.
- Collaboratively set and implement broad project vision and strategy, providing technical leadership and direction to a team of software quality engineers in the responsibilities and requirements associated with properly executing the documented SQA processes.
- Work within a diverse team environment to define, develop, and implement original solutions to highly complex problems of a broad and diverse scope requiring in-depth analysis at the directorate, institutional, or cross-site levels.
- Oversee independent execution of test suites to ensure software requirements are accounted for and executed correctly.
- Analyze software requirements and ensure traceability within software and firmware implementations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Computer Engineering, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience in a technical discipline(s).
- Expert level knowledge in Software QA Engineering in the technology industry, and substantial experience leading or managing teams implementing/executing SQA policy, preferably as relating to firmware.
- Highly advanced knowledge of product lifecycle management and configuration management.
- Understanding of current cyber security issues/mitigations and how cyber security policy impacts software quality activities.
- Substantial experience effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
- Significant experience supporting multiple independent, but inter-related systems and software packages and highly advanced ability to provide innovative solutions to tasks and problems that are not well defined and to interact with system developers and senior management.
- Expert verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to senior management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Exceptional relationship building, collaboration and communication skills with a proven ability to interpret customer requests to develop system requirements.
- Knowledge of DOE Order 414.1D (Quality Assurance) and/or NNSA NAP 401.1A (Weapon Quality).
- Understanding of firmware Testing and Validation processes and procedures.
- Proficiency developing software written in Python, particularly as it applies to test suites.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now