Assembly Integration Associate - Active Security Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/31/2023
Job Code: 338.1 Engineering/Scientific Coord / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE L or Q clearance (or active Secret or Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$109,350 - $135,756 Annually for the 338.1 level
$132,360 - $164,328 Annually for the 339.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Assembly Integration Associate. You will provide technical support for the movement, tracking, and verification of components and subassemblies for the W80-4 Life Extension Program (LEP) Joint Test Assembly (JTA). The JTA is a nuclear weapon surrogate test bed used for weapon system (warhead and missile) certification as well as assessment of the health of the nuclear weapon system throughout its lifetime. The JTA is a highly complex and integrated design consisting of diagnostics and data acquisition capabilities that will be deployed for the first time in our nuclear weapon’s history. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program supporting the Strategic Deterrence Principal Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Coordinate JTA test unit assembly activities with the JTA Assessment Lead and ensure availability of test hardware in support of the baseline schedule, overseeing hardware status and movement, managing travelers, and tracking parts and equipment location.
- Provide advanced technical oversight and coordination support for set up and use of Manufacturing Resources Planning (MRP) systems; breakdown of drawing packages, creation/maintenance of Manufacturing Bills of Materials (MBOMs), and issuance of Work Orders.
- Collaborate with suppliers, requestors, LLNL Procurement, production control, warehouse, LLNL Receiving, and onsite mechanical/electrical fabrication shops to meet project cost and schedule demands.
- Participate in design reviews from the assembly and integration perspective.
- Communicate changes in hardware quantity, fidelity, need dates, and delivery dates to relevant stakeholders internally and externally.
- Work with component Product Realization Teams (PRTs), JTA System Integration and Test Leads, and other stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Provide highly advanced technical support to scientific, engineering, and technical personnel through specialized technical knowledge relating to acquisition of parts/materials/equipment.
- Make decisions using a high degree of independent discretion and judgement to balance hardware needs and hardware receive dates. Resolve issues by developing creative solutions.
- Provide input to JTA Development Build Work Package cost and budget forecasts.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in electronics, mechanical, industrial, manufacturing, computer engineering or electro-optic technology; or equivalent combination of education and experience in a technical or engineering field.
- Advanced understanding of engineering design, fabrication, and assembly and demonstrated significant technical and general administrative authority. Understanding of engineering drawings, pedigree, quantity determinations, and assembly process.
- Significant experience managing, designing, and maintaining tracking tools independently.
- Ability to work independently with general supervision/direction while providing frequent decision making using independent discretion and judgment.
- Ability to mentor others in specific on-the-job training.
- Advanced written, verbal, feedback and presentation communication skills specific to the technical qualifications.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction while providing frequent decision making using a high degree of independent discretion and judgment to define approach and create and implement original solutions.
- Extensive experience and highly advanced skills, knowledge, and abilities in procurement, handling, and coordination of materials and equipment.
- Highly advanced written, verbal, feedback and presentation communication skills in and ability to present regular formalized reporting and presentations to management and outside collaborators.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of, or experience with, weapon systems, engineering hardware design, fabrication, testing, and fielding.
- Knowledge and understanding of conventional manufacturing and fabrication techniques, general electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance or an active Secret or Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.