Mechanical Test Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/31/2023
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$39.05 - $48.50 Hourly for the 533.2 level
$46.90 - $58.24 Hourly for the 533.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for a Shaker Operator/Mechanical Test Technologist. Under minimal supervision, you will work on a variety of projects related to vibration and shock testing, general environmental testing, modal analysis, health monitoring, aging studies, data acquisition, load testing, general instrumentation, and measurement diagnostics. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), supporting the Strategic Deterrence Principal Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Operate test equipment (shaker systems, shock machines, thermal chambers, etc.) using fundamental knowledge of best test and measurement practices.
- Perform maintenance activities to keep test equipment operational and functional.
- Conduct tests on mechanical and/or diagnostic systems, aid with analysis of results, author test plans, and test reports.
- Work with a variety of instrumentation and sensors including: accelerometers, thermocouples, RTD’s, strain gages, load cells, pressure transducers, LVDT’s, DVRT’s, laser vibrometers, capacitance probes, and fiber optic based sensors.
- Review and update test and maintenance procedures to aid in testing, safety enhancement, and quality of operations. Participate in formal engineering design reviews.
- Perform independent technical tasks for a variety of projects and support general test research efforts.
- Assist in the design, evaluation, review, fabrication, oversight, testing, assembly, quality policy implementation, and documentation of moderately complex projects.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, technical personnel, facility engineers, facility safety personnel, and technicians both inside and outside the work group on both an individual and team basis in support of the program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Define, interpret, design, oversee fabrication and operation of experimental test prototypes and associated complex diagnostics utilizing comprehensive knowledge of operation test equipment and mechanical engineering.
- Collaborate with engineers/scientists to provide advanced support in solving complex technical problems for various projects, independently leading personnel in assigning tasks and prioritizing work.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related technical discipline.
- Intermediate knowledge of experimental testing for shock and vibration testing and use of associated test equipment (e.g. electro-dynamic shakers, shock machines, and other test equipment).
- Intermediate knowledge of fundamental testing practices, including physical test setup, troubleshooting testing equipment, and interacting with small and large teams to complete work activities.
- Experience working with test data, including exporting different file types, movement of digital files, between servers, physical computers, and reformatting of data into different layouts.
- Effective communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and collaboration with other technical staff members.
- Experience with test measurements, general instrumentation (e.g. accelerometers, thermocouples, strain gages, resistance thermal detectors (RTD’s), capacitance gages, laser vibrometers, pressure sensor, other instrumentation, and general data acquisition methods.
Additional qualifications, at the 533.3 level
- Effective feedback skills to lead teams of other technologists in a direct and well-organized manner.
- Significant experience collaborating with high-level scientists/engineers and/or senior managers at the division and/or department level or equivalent.
- Effective written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills in multiple technical areas.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge and experience with shaker systems, thermal chambers, MatLab, data acquisition and measurement diagnostics.
- Experience working with optical, radiographic, electronic diagnostic equipment, initiation systems for high-explosives, and/or working with/around high-voltage or high-current equipment.
- Experience working with classified materials, documentation, and/or experimental data.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.