Mechanical Technologist/Senior Mechanical Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/31/2023
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$39.05 - $48.50 Hourly for the 533.2 level
$46.90 - $58.24 Hourly for the 533.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist/Senior Mechanical Technologist to support the Flight Test Group. The Flight Test Group is a fast-paced, cross-disciplinary team that specializes in rapid development of reliable in-field deployable assets. Your focus will primarily be supporting the Flight Test Group’s drone capability, but you will also support other projects within the group as needed. Your daily work will be conducted in-person at LLNL’s Livermore Site. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, supporting the Strategic Deterrence Principal Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex electro-mechanical components and systems, using work control process and procedure requirements.
- Provide general technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and carry out Flight Test weapon-scoring missions by deploying and operating the Livermore Independent Diagnostic Scoring System (LIDSS) in various locations around the world.
- Provide operations, maintenance, design, fabrication, assembly support, and maintain systems documentation and experimental records.
- Operate mechanical diagnostic equipment, maintain area controls, assist with mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment, test prior to experiment execution, and perform data recovery after experiment execution.
- Apply intermediate knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in solving mechanical problems.
- Perform facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, upgrades to equipment control, and interlock systems checks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Provide advanced technical assembly and disassembly support of complex systems.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- Assist in developing test parameters, comprehensive troubleshooting and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience solving a variety of moderately complex technical problems in completion of work assignments.
- Experience with mechanical diagnostic equipment, maintaining area controls, assisting with mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment, testing prior to experiment execution, and performing data recovery after experiment execution.
- Experience in mechanical fabrication and assembly.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills and ability to work constructively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to complete and maintain certifications as required by the position.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment and perform moderate work effort while wearing respirator.
- Ability to travel up 2 weeks several times per year, and up to 4 weeks twice per year (travel may include significant time aboard a ship at sea).
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Experience working with high level precision component assemblies with tight tolerances.
- High level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Ability to read and follow complex assembly procedures, engineering notes, sketches, and engineering drawings.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience fulfilling Work Control process and procedure requirements.
- Experience with hobby-level drones or similar electro-mechanical systems and electronics assembly including making high-quality solder joints.
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing standards.
- Experience working with machine tools as well as experience working with CREO CAD system.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.